Crown Rot

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Beaucarnea, Calibanus, Cordyline, Dasylirion, Dracaena, Nolina, Sansevieria and related species.

Moderator: Spination

Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Re: Crown Rot

Post by Gee.S »

Finally, some new leaves popping up deep in the core. So all appears well.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

So a full year after I first noticed some small activity in the resuscitated core, there is evidence of "normal" growth. I expected this a year ago, but it just sat and did nothing last year after reacting to the onset of spring by generating a small flush a cm or two long, apparently still dealing with consequences of the severe rot that nearly killed it 2.5 years ago.

OTOH, I don't want to get ahead of myself. The center of the plant now looks like it should and is definitely growing, but there is still no way to tell where this is heading. Fingers crossed for no more surprises.

dasy.jpg
dasy.jpg (301.9 KiB) Viewed 1945 times
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Another notable update in the continuing saga of my zombie Dasy. I now see (well sorta) why this plant sat seemingly dormant for nearly all of last year after initially developing a small flush deep in the core. That core is no longer active, and the new flush shown is from a new core. Well, that isn't exactly right either. It isn't an entirely new core. It looks to me as if the original core split in two (branched), now with one active (front) and one inactive (behind) core.

Does that make sense? This plant is a trip. New flush is growing vigorously.

Zombie Dasy
Zombie Dasy
dasy.jpg (499.42 KiB) Viewed 1906 times
Agave

Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Given its recovery to date, I think the plant is OK and will grow and produce new leaves on its own schedule. Just an opinion.
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

I'm not so sure it's OK. It's clearly working toward that end, but I would breathe a little easier if it would just settle into some level of "normal".
Agave

Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8B

Post by Meangreen94z »

My surviving Dasylirion quadrangulatum takes core damage like that every winter here, and I cover it or take it in for the worst of the weather. It survives though and I’ve seen huge specimen around town that seemed to do better.
Austin, Texas
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

As you can see from snaps here, there is nothing normal about this -- aside from the fact that Dasys don't normally produce large flushes like this at all, instead deferring to a slow steady stream of individual leaves. This new flush has a dramatic lean to it, rather than coming straight up as it should. If anything, the lean is even more dramatic than indicated by snaps.

d1.jpg
d1.jpg (699.07 KiB) Viewed 1809 times
d2.jpg
d2.jpg (501.32 KiB) Viewed 1809 times
Agave

jam
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 7a/b

Post by jam »

Gee.S wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:16 pm As you can see from snaps here, there is nothing normal about this -- aside from the fact that Dasys don't normally produce large flushes like this at all, instead deferring to a slow steady stream of individual leaves. This new flush has a dramatic lean to it, rather than coming straight up as it should. If anything, the lean is even more dramatic than indicated by snaps.
Could this "cycad" flush be caused by the rot preventing new leaves to come out? They may have accumulated until the rot problem got sorted and instead of going one by one they are all pushed out at once. Just a guess, really.
Regarding its leaning, you wrote it now has two cores. Wouldn't they try to point away from each other? Another guess.
Setting up a Chihuahuan laboratory.
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

jam wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 5:11 am
Gee.S wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:16 pm As you can see from snaps here, there is nothing normal about this -- aside from the fact that Dasys don't normally produce large flushes like this at all, instead deferring to a slow steady stream of individual leaves. This new flush has a dramatic lean to it, rather than coming straight up as it should. If anything, the lean is even more dramatic than indicated by snaps.
Could this "cycad" flush be caused by the rot preventing new leaves to come out? They may have accumulated until the rot problem got sorted and instead of going one by one they are all pushed out at once. Just a guess, really.
Regarding its leaning, you wrote it now has two cores. Wouldn't they try to point away from each other? Another guess.
Sure, something like that. Tho the new flush is leaning toward the now defunct core, rather than away from it. This has all been going on for a long time now, and the second time it produced a large flush. Also, we're now experiencing the same kind of extended heat spell that led to its near demise three years ago. It has all been very interesting, but more and more, I doubt it's ever going to truly recover.
Agave