Aloe africana x cameronii

Use this forum to help with identification issues and to show off your beautiful plants, one species, subspecies, and cultivar at a time.

Moderator: Geoff

Forum rules
This section is dedicated toward maintaining one active thread for each Aloaceae species/subspecies/variety/cultivar. Please feel free to add information and/or photos to existing threads or start your own by adding Genus/species as the thread subject. Note that listings are displayed alphabetically. Enjoy!
Viegener
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10b

Aloe africana x cameronii

Post by Viegener »

Saw these for the first time this week at the Huntington. An interesting cross. You can see the foliage colors of cameronii & I wonder if the flowers will show characteristics of africana. The size so far looks closer to the scale of cameronii than africana.
Attachments
Aloe africana x cameronii HBG Feb'21 copy.jpeg
Aloe africana x cameronii HBG Feb'21 copy.jpeg (589.37 KiB) Viewed 5890 times
Ferdinand
Rhizome

Re: Aloe africana x cameronii

Post by Ferdinand »

Wow, if these get to Africana size with Cameroonii colouring, that'll make for one stunning plant.
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Post by Stan »

That's the kind of hybrid people have been wishing for for years. Get the intense reds of the ground species into the DNA of a tree type. One day,red Kumara's..
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.
johnbecker
Offset

Post by johnbecker »

Oh cool! I actually made the reverse cross last year in my garden and I've got ~30 cameronii x africana seedlings coming along. Fun to see what they might grow up to look like.
Epiphyte
Offset

Post by Epiphyte »

any updates?

here's one of my seedlings, that i'm hoping is aloe africana x cameronii...

for comparison, here is one of my seedlings that i'm guessing is pure africana...

aloe africana has fairly serious spines, as does my possible hybrid. plus both their leaves are more upright than cameronii, whose leaves also grow more densely.

it's interesting that the huntington's hybrid looks a lot more like cameronii than my possible hybrid.