Hyphaene coriacea

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Areca, Bismarckia, Brahea, Jubaea, Parajubaea, Phoenix and other Palm species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.

Moderator: Geoff

KLC
Ready to Bolt

Hyphaene coriacea

Post by KLC »

Meangrean sent me 3 germinated seeds of Hyphaene coriacea a month or so ago. They are big seeds! The single roots on each seed were already about 2” long when I took them out of the shipping mix they were in. I waited 3 days before I put them into 14” tree pots and have been watering them every other day. It’s been bumping 100 here in Phoenix recently. This morning I checked on them and to my surprise the tap roots have reached the drain holes in the pots. Being remote germinators I expect to see a shoot probably this week. This is what bismarkia does anyways. I’ll keep ya’ll posted on the progress.
IMG_7945.jpeg
IMG_7945.jpeg (359.29 KiB) Viewed 4129 times
IMG_7946.jpeg
IMG_7946.jpeg (554.26 KiB) Viewed 4129 times
Don't California my Arizona!
KLC
Ready to Bolt

Re: Hyphaene coriacea

Post by KLC »

How deep of a pot do you use Meangrean? It seems 14” may not be enough.
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8B

Post by Meangreen94z »

KLC wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 11:38 am How deep of a pot do you use Meangrean? It seems 14” may not be enough.
Somehow I missed this. I’ve started Hyphaene out in 7 gallon containers. It seems a bit overkill but once they bottom out, the root system spreads out a bit but seems content. I haven’t really had any roots try to establish out the drain holes, and Ive had Hyphaene petersiana in for nearly 3 years. They say if you are able you might as well move them in ground immediately after germination.
Austin, Texas
KLC
Ready to Bolt

Post by KLC »

I didn't take a photo but 2 of them have broke the surface with a shoot. The 3rd one doesn't have a root at the bottom of the pot yet but sometimes palms, or any plant for that matter, are just late to the party. I'll give it another week before I dump it out and take a peak.

I don't want to put them in the ground, but a 15g pot may accomplish the same thing.
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt

Post by Meangreen94z »

Some grow slower than others, and I’ve had a few that germinate but then fizzle out soon after. Here are a few on a rack in my garage.
EC9857C3-DFA2-4DCB-89E2-8473D6502D23.jpeg
EC9857C3-DFA2-4DCB-89E2-8473D6502D23.jpeg (623.58 KiB) Viewed 4060 times
Austin, Texas
meridannight
Offset

Post by meridannight »

In my experience they're easy to germinate, but they can't stand transplanting. If they're meant for the space outside, now is the time to plant them out. If they're meant to be kept in containers don't expect them to last all that long or grow all that much.
Species I'm growing from seed: Agave nizandensis, Agave difformis, Agave parryi, Agave schidigera, Aloe alooides, Aloe manandonae, Aloe dhufarensis, Aloe barbara-jeppeae, Hyophorbe verschaffeltii, Kerriodoxa elegans, Johannesteijsmannia altifrons, Chrysalidocarpus leptocheilos, Licuala grandis.
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt

Post by Meangreen94z »

meridannight wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:11 pm In my experience they're easy to germinate, but they can't stand transplanting. If they're meant for the space outside, now is the time to plant them out. If they're meant to be kept in containers don't expect them to last all that long or grow all that much.
Like a lot of African palms they are extremely root sensitive. Extreme care is needed when transplanting, but it is possible. I grew Hyphaene petersiana, thebaica, and coriacea from seed and transplanted them later in Houston with success. I currently have Hyphaene compressa, dichotoma, thebaica, coriacea, and petersiana growing in containers. They won’t survive in ground where I am currently in Central Texas, but I am a huge fan of the genera and hope to eventually find them long term homes in South Texas. Or possibly donate them to a place like the San Antonio Botanical Garden that can grow them indoors.
Austin, Texas
Tom in Tucson
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Tom in Tucson »

Meangreen94z wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:32 am
meridannight wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:11 pm In my experience they're easy to germinate, but they can't stand transplanting. If they're meant for the space outside, now is the time to plant them out. If they're meant to be kept in containers don't expect them to last all that long or grow all that much.
Like a lot of African palms they are extremely root sensitive. Extreme care is needed when transplanting, but it is possible. I grew Hyphaene petersiana, thebaica, and coriacea from seed and transplanted them later in Houston with success. I currently have Hyphaene compressa, dichotoma, thebaica, coriacea, and petersiana growing in containers. They won’t survive in ground where I am currently in Central Texas, but I am a huge fan of the genera and hope to eventually find them long term homes in South Texas. Or possibly donate them to a place like the San Antonio Botanical Garden that can grow them indoors.
Like the Medemia seedlings I have, I know they'll never survive here outdoors year round. So my plan is to find a serious palm collector, or botanical garden in a low elevation Sonoran desert location of Mexico, or the USA, that can provide them with a climate more to their liking. I hope to grow them to a 3 foot or taller size first. Until then I'll keep them indoors during cool/cold weather. They do as well as my other desert palms when it's warm/hot. I've probably got at least 2 years to find their new home(s) at their current growth rate.
Casas Adobes, AZ
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt

Post by Meangreen94z »

Tom in Tucson wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:22 pm
Meangreen94z wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:32 am
Like the Medemia seedlings I have, I know they'll never survive here outdoors year round. So my plan is to find a serious palm collector, or botanical garden in a low elevation Sonoran desert location of Mexico, or the USA, that can provide them with a climate more to their liking. I hope to grow them to a 3 foot or taller size first. Until then I'll keep them indoors during cool/cold weather. They do as well as my other desert palms when it's warm/hot. I've probably got at least 2 years to find their new home(s) at their current growth rate.
I wonder if anyone has found the true hardiness limit of Medemia? I’ve heard rumors of low 20’s, but nothing confirmed. I have one planted in Houston at a family members home. It isn’t trunking yet. All it had for cover from 16-17°F was a blanket, only the top halves of the fronds burned. I’ll find its limits once it forms an above ground trunk, this one hasn’t been as nearly fast growing as some have claimed.
Austin, Texas
KLC
Ready to Bolt

Post by KLC »

Anyone have a source for Medemia?
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt

Post by Meangreen94z »

They seem to have disappeared for now, as far as seeds or small seedlings.
Austin, Texas
Tom in Tucson
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Tom in Tucson »

KLC wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:02 pm Anyone have a source for Medemia?
RPS still has over 1000 seeds.
Casas Adobes, AZ
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt

Post by Meangreen94z »

Rod A. in Phoenix sent me these great pictures of Hyphaene in his yard. Enjoying the near 120°F heat.
Hyphaene natalensis
Hyphaene natalensis
47F71FD5-CECB-44A0-85B9-EB1ED54C0E9B.jpeg (702 KiB) Viewed 2732 times
Hyphaene thebaica
Hyphaene thebaica
0DC89438-341F-498E-A7B7-19506FA2B532.jpeg (719.01 KiB) Viewed 2732 times
Hyphaene compressa
Hyphaene compressa
FBF7D706-A26B-43FC-8C97-72D9CEE93B2F.jpeg (716.04 KiB) Viewed 2732 times
Hyphaene compressa
Hyphaene compressa
EBC0ED84-9685-4DEA-B1D5-B3B855698F7F.jpeg (586.23 KiB) Viewed 2732 times
Hyphaene dichotoma
Hyphaene dichotoma
EF69723F-ABA9-405E-9E29-ABDB96BDABB0.jpeg (744.03 KiB) Viewed 2732 times
Hyphaene thebaica, Livistona mariae in the far background, Acrocomia aculeata in the middle
Hyphaene thebaica, Livistona mariae in the far background, Acrocomia aculeata in the middle
F0341140-0E05-46D3-B8BE-E7CA19D93668.jpeg (634.59 KiB) Viewed 2732 times
Hyphaene thebaica
Hyphaene thebaica
86B64C57-C509-4FAD-B3B0-ABBD8B8626CD.jpeg (560.41 KiB) Viewed 2732 times
Hyphaene turbinata
Hyphaene turbinata
371D671F-15D4-4244-9047-89A1AC65899B.jpeg (588.84 KiB) Viewed 2732 times
Austin, Texas