Hoodias

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to succulent Asclepiads, including Stapelia, Huernia, Orbea, Adenium, Pachypodium and related species.

Moderator: mickthecactus

mickthecactus

Hoodias

Post by mickthecactus »

I have about 20 Hoodia seedlings to get through their first winter.
Any advice will be welcome.
Jkwinston
Ready to Bolt

Re: Hoodias

Post by Jkwinston »

mickthecactus wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:17 am I have about 20 Hoodia seedlings to get through their first winter.
Any advice will be welcome.
They are very difficult plants to wake up after dormancy. I have killed as many, and baobabs seedlings in my early days. They are better kept indoors as the cold weather begins, as the uneven greenhouse temperature can spell disaster. I go for 15C and above, and as they go dormant, stop watering. If in the winter they begin to shrink, a gentle spray might be enough. Keep them cool away from the radiator with gentle daylight. As the spring approaches, wait for signs of new growth, and then start with a gentle spray. Do not force the end of dormancy. Good luck. Jkw

PS. My worst experience was seeing my one foot beautiful Hoodia plant collapse gently before my eyes, and not being able to save a single cutting.
mickthecactus

Re: Hoodias

Post by mickthecactus »

Many thanks Winston.

Re your P.S. I’ve had that happen more than once. It’s just the nature of the beast I’m afraid.