Dracaena cinnabari vs draco seeds question

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Beaucarnea, Calibanus, Cordyline, Dasylirion, Dracaena, Nolina, Sansevieria and related species.

Moderator: Spination

Spination
Ready to Bolt

Dracaena cinnabari vs draco seeds question

Post by Spination »

A year and 1/2 ago, I got a dozen Dracaena draco seeds, of which a couple germinated, and today I have 2 healthy seedlings growing nicely. I also later acquired 2 seedlings, which are doing fine too, but of course I like the ones I've been growing from seed the best. ::wink::
I've looked several times for Dracaena cinnabari, and recently after getting inspired to look once again, found a seller in Portugal who sent me 8 seeds. They arrived today, and the problem is, they look identical to the draco seeds I got previously, which does not seem right to me. I'm suspecting that I didn't actually get cinnabari seeds as I hoped.
Finding tons of pics online for draco, I can't even find a picture of cinnabari seeds to make any kind of comparison.
Does anyone know if the seeds are much different looking, and what the differences are?

The ongoing draco experience
Day 1
2014 05 26 Dracaena Draco b X750.jpg
2014 05 26 Dracaena Draco b X750.jpg (325.73 KiB) Viewed 9232 times
3 months later
2014 08 27 Dracaena draco seed #1 X750.jpg
2014 08 27 Dracaena draco seed #1 X750.jpg (159.68 KiB) Viewed 9232 times
today
2016 03 25 Dracaena draco seedlings b X750.jpg
2016 03 25 Dracaena draco seedlings b X750.jpg (281.62 KiB) Viewed 9232 times
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Re: Dracaena cinnabari vs draco seeds question

Post by Spination »

Got a reply from the seller who confirms the new seeds are cinnabari. If that's the case, then draco and cinnabari seeds are virtually identical?
draco seeds (photo enlarged and cropped)
2014 05 26 Dracaena Draco cropped enlarged.jpg
2014 05 26 Dracaena Draco cropped enlarged.jpg (259.81 KiB) Viewed 9223 times

cinnabari seeds sowed today - can't really see much of any difference (in spite of photo different resizes, the seed sizes are/were virtually identical)
2016 03 25 Dracaena cinnabari d cropped.JPG
2016 03 25 Dracaena cinnabari d cropped.JPG (189.32 KiB) Viewed 9223 times
Anyone experienced with these have an opinion?

EDIT - in case you're wondering ... instructions given and found independently state seeds sowed on surface, with ample but not direct light, to be kept moist, which worked satisfactorily the last time.
Jkwinston
Ready to Bolt

Post by Jkwinston »

Tom, I would say the seeds of Dracaena species are similar in appearance, but I found a difference even before they start growing. Let me declare that I have never tried cinnabari seeds, but I am presently growing D schizantha. The dried versions were very different than draco, and now that they are growing, you can definitely see the difference. I also grow draco. Let me see if I can find some photos of schizantha. Later, I will take some photos of the babies. Jkw

PS. I grow them just like any other succulents.
005.JPG
005.JPG (135.83 KiB) Viewed 9199 times
036.JPG
036.JPG (162.19 KiB) Viewed 9199 times
chumpot

Post by chumpot »

Hi I got D.cinnbari yesterday and it looks like draco but in smaller size, the color is yellow rather than red or red brown

My cinnabari seeds they look like your seeds so may I ask you after you sow and germinate are they the real D.cinnabari or draco or other species

thanks
Attachments
IMG_0601.JPG
IMG_0601.JPG (163.83 KiB) Viewed 7540 times
african_sun

Post by african_sun »

Hi everyone,

I was hoping to see an active discussion on Dracaena cinnabari. Hi Chumpot, from what I can tell, the seeds of your D. cinnabari seeds look fine (maybe a little dusty!)

Question for the group on when you know to repot a Dracaena cinnabari.
IMG_3800.jpg
Should the larger 10-year old Dracaena be repotted soon? It's been happy in the current pot for a while. I worry about checking out how large the roots are. But then I hear these trees like to be root-bound.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Cheers, African_sun
Elreymark
Rhizome

Post by Elreymark »

Hi, I really like these Dracaena Cinnabari plants. They are awesome. I would like to grow some of my own. Any idea where to buy seeds from the Dracaena cinnabari?

Cheers
Mark
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8B

Post by Meangreen94z »

Elreymark wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:14 pm Hi, I really like these Dracaena Cinnabari plants. They are awesome. I would like to grow some of my own. Any idea where to buy seeds from the Dracaena cinnabari?

Cheers
Mark
Rarepalmseeds.com off and on will have them and other varieties of Dracaena, but are currently out of cinnabari.

https://www.rarepalmseeds.com/index.php ... racaena%20

Rareplants.eu carries some rarer Dracaena including ombet:
http://www.rareplants.es/shop/prodtype. ... Position=1

Both are in Europe and may require a small lot of seed permit to ship
Austin, Texas