Cool Forum

Welcome to Agaveville! Please stop in and tell us a little bit about yourself and your gardening interests.
Fairview
Offset
USDA Zone: 8

Cool Forum

Post by Fairview »

In north central Texas. My landscape has suffered severe neglect for 6 years as I struggled with an ever increasing bad knee. Thank goodness for retirement this year. Had that knee replaced in February this year and now in the process of overcoming those years of landscape neglect. Going back with a lot of yucca, agave, dasylirion and nolina. Choosing plants that will laugh at our torrid summers and annual droughts.
Mckinney, Texas. 30 Miles North of Dallas. What I'm trying to grow: A ovatifolia: whales tongue, frosty blue, vanzie, sharkskin, parrasana, montana, parryi JC Raulston, Bellville, Bluebell Giant, havardiana, polianthiflora, parviflora, havardiana x neomexicana
Tom in Tucson
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 9b

Re: Cool Forum

Post by Tom in Tucson »

Fairview wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:46 pm In north central Texas. My landscape has suffered severe neglect for 6 years as I struggled with an ever increasing bad knee. Thank goodness for retirement this year. Had that knee replaced in February this year and now in the process of overcoming those years of landscape neglect. Going back with a lot of yucca, agave, dasylirion and nolina. Choosing plants that will laugh at our torrid summers and annual droughts.
Welcome! Good to know your knee surgery will allow you to comfortably resume your gardening. I look forward to seeing how you resurrect it.

BTW, I suggest that you update your profile with your location. It will keep members from always asking where you live.
Casas Adobes, AZ
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Re: Cool Forum

Post by Gee.S »

Fairview wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:46 pm In north central Texas. My landscape has suffered severe neglect for 6 years as I struggled with an ever increasing bad knee. Thank goodness for retirement this year. Had that knee replaced in February this year and now in the process of overcoming those years of landscape neglect. Going back with a lot of yucca, agave, dasylirion and nolina. Choosing plants that will laugh at our torrid summers and annual droughts.
Welcome! As a result of one TKR, I went from struggling to reach my mailbox to 10-mile big elevation gain hikes within a year. I was out hiking around three weeks after the surgery, and I swear that was the ONLY time it didn't hurt for the first few months.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
Fairview
Offset
USDA Zone: 8

Phase 1 Complete (More or Less)

Post by Fairview »

Tom in Tucson wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:21 pm
Welcome! Good to know your knee surgery will allow you to comfortably resume your gardening. I look forward to seeing how you resurrect it.

BTW, I suggest that you update your profile with your location. It will keep members from always asking where you live.
My landscape is always in a state of flux. Today I added 3 D. wheeleri to fill in the larger empty spots. I have 5 big ones and 3 1 gallon ones that can't be seen. 3 Y. rostrata and 2 Y. schottii a Y. faxoniana and some other misc plants.

Ignore the invading Bermuda grass. That's next.
Attachments
Screenshot_20231103_143441_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20231103_143441_Gallery.jpg (595.2 KiB) Viewed 887 times
Screenshot_20231103_143504_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20231103_143504_Gallery.jpg (610.77 KiB) Viewed 887 times
Screenshot_20231103_143534_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20231103_143534_Gallery.jpg (493.48 KiB) Viewed 887 times
Mckinney, Texas. 30 Miles North of Dallas. What I'm trying to grow: A ovatifolia: whales tongue, frosty blue, vanzie, sharkskin, parrasana, montana, parryi JC Raulston, Bellville, Bluebell Giant, havardiana, polianthiflora, parviflora, havardiana x neomexicana