Kofa Palm Canyon

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to xeric plants, which do not fit under any of our established categories, or to discuss issues of a general nature that bear relevance across multiple categories.
Tom in Tucson
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 9b

Kofa Palm Canyon

Post by Tom in Tucson »

After a recent trip to the Kofa Mountains (near the border between La Paz and Yuma counties), I decided this is the best forum to post some images.

The 1st is an image from '08
108058279.nV5AQuVw.DSC05378.jpeg
108058279.nV5AQuVw.DSC05378.jpeg (448.83 KiB) Viewed 1792 times
This is as close as I dared to climb by myself (a 15ft. cliff is behind the rock)
174090840.fdfcc5a7.jpeg
174090840.fdfcc5a7.jpeg (210.1 KiB) Viewed 1792 times
2 Nolina bigelovii near the main grove
174090841.d79a0a1b.jpeg
174090841.d79a0a1b.jpeg (230.23 KiB) Viewed 1792 times
174090843.3af41d31.jpeg
174090843.3af41d31.jpeg (240.35 KiB) Viewed 1792 times
Casas Adobes, AZ
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8B

Re: Kofa Palm Canyon

Post by Meangreen94z »

Nolina bigelovii growing straight out of a rock wall, and rock in general based on further viewing on iNaturalist. Good to know, that will probably be a method I attempt. Tom mentioned this Washingtonia population to me in the past and he is correct, based on pictures there is quite a variance. Some have filifera width trunks and others are narrow like a hybrid with the Mexican species Washingtonia robusta. The missing link? or It could just be an adaptation to the low light of the canyon.
Credit a-geoman
Credit a-geoman
D78C8E5F-BCED-4B34-8D78-2648E0729F9F.jpeg (308.07 KiB) Viewed 1771 times
Austin, Texas
Paul S
Ready to Bolt

Post by Paul S »

What a remarkable habitat!

Are there populations of robusta that far north that would enable hybridisation?
Tom in Tucson
Ready to Bolt

Post by Tom in Tucson »

Paul S wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:58 am What a remarkable habitat!

Are there populations of robusta that far north that would enable hybridisation?
Since you've asked, I want to elaborate a little. The known natural range of Washingtonia filifera is documented to be from the Sonoran desert in California, Arizona (questionable for the moment), and northern Baja California (BCN) (a sighting in northern Baja California Sur (BCS) is debatable). Incidentally the palms found near Catavina, BCN are composed of 3 species; Washingtonia filifera, Washingtonia robusta, and Brahea armata. Since that area has been a popular destination for many decades, the occurrence of W. robusta appears to be there through introduction by the local population. This species can only be naturally found in BCS, and in Nacapule Canyon Sonora. So the overwhelming evidence points to a separation of the 2 species, despite the fact that the majority of the Washingtonia palms found worldwide are hybrids ( "W. filibusta"). The characteristics that Meangreen pointed out, and the fact that this Arizona population has never been grown anywhere outside of it's isolated Kofa habitat, was the reason I returned to gather some seed for further study. I failed this time. but I intend to go back next year, and be better prepared for this somewhat arduous ascent.
Casas Adobes, AZ
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

I once collected some seed from the W. filifera pop at Castle Hot Springs. I didn't get a lot, but quickly realized the difficulty involved here for anyone less than 10 m tall.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
Tom in Tucson
Ready to Bolt

Post by Tom in Tucson »

Gee.S wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:30 pm I once collected some seed from the W. filifera pop at Castle Hot Springs. I didn't get a lot, but quickly realized the difficulty involved here for anyone less than 10 m tall.
How have those seedling done from Castle Hot Springs? What is their age? Do you mind posting any images of the palms in their habitat, and of the seedlings?
Casas Adobes, AZ
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Tom in Tucson wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:07 am
Gee.S wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:30 pm I once collected some seed from the W. filifera pop at Castle Hot Springs. I didn't get a lot, but quickly realized the difficulty involved here for anyone less than 10 m tall.
How have those seedling done from Castle Hot Springs? What is their age? Do you mind posting any images of the palms in their habitat, and of the seedlings?
I didn't plant any, I was collecting for Tony Avent at Plant Delights.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

Tom in Tucson
Ready to Bolt

Post by Tom in Tucson »

Gee.S wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:52 pm
You have no photos? How long ago did you gather the seed? Do you know if Tony is still selling plants from your seed?
Casas Adobes, AZ
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Tom in Tucson wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:49 am
Gee.S wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:52 pm

You have no photos? How long ago did you gather the seed? Do you know if Tony is still selling plants from your seed?
No idea, this was several years ago. There wasn't much seed I could reach. Less than 100 as I recall.

I've posted plenty of snaps of those palms here.
Agave