Sedum, Orostachys, and other small, cold-hardy succulents

Use this forum to list your haves and wants. Commercial posts welcome. If you have some interesting offerings, we want to hear about it!

Moderator: Melt in the Sun

nsp88
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8a

Sedum, Orostachys, and other small, cold-hardy succulents

Post by nsp88 »

I've been building a list of (mostly) cold hardy succulents I'd like to slowly acquire. Figured I'd see if anyone here had any of the following:

Sedum stahlii
Sedum anglicum
Sedum havardii
Sedum divergens
Sedum nuttallii
Sedum spathulifolium 'Cape Blanco'
Sedum craigii
Sedum brevifolium
Sedum 'Midnight Velvet'
Sedum rupestre 'Angelina'

Sedeveria letizia

Orostachys japonica
Orostachys spinosa
Orostachys iwarenge
Orostachys furusei
Orostachys malacophylla var. iwarenge
Orostachys fimbriata

Jovibarba hueffelii

Any colorful and cold hardy Sempervivums
westfork
Offset
USDA Zone: 4b/5a

Re: Sedum, Orostachys, and other small, cold-hardy succulents

Post by westfork »

Many species of sempervivum do well here in our native soil and with no special care. Many can't survive our winters. The rollers, hueffelii, and certain species like calcareum and tectorum seem particularly hardy. Can't say which are my favorites as they constantly change during the seasons.
They offset like crazy so you are welcome to a variety if you like.
Orostachys spinosa grows well and flowers extensively, but birds and rodents love to shell out those plump little leaves.
Siouxland: USDA Zone 4b/5a & heat zone 6/7. Extremes at our farm: 108 F to -38 F.
Arid grassland with dry sunny winters, moderate summers, 27" annual precipitation.
nsp88
Ready to Bolt

Post by nsp88 »

westfork wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:34 am Many species of sempervivum do well here in our native soil and with no special care. Many can't survive our winters. The rollers, hueffelii, and certain species like calcareum and tectorum seem particularly hardy. Can't say which are my favorites as they constantly change during the seasons.
They offset like crazy so you are welcome to a variety if you like.
Orostachys spinosa grows well and flowers extensively, but birds and rodents love to shell out those plump little leaves.
I just purchased a mixed-and-not-identified-sempervivum seed packet. I'll be curious to see how many of them can handle the cold. next winter. It wasn't labeled as cold hardy so I don't have high hopes for them.
Awesome, I'll message you, thanks!
Thanks for the insight! If they can handle your winters I'm sure they can handle ours.
westfork
Offset

Post by westfork »

nsp88 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:29 am
Thanks for the insight! If they can handle your winters I'm sure they can handle ours.
Yes and no - Maybe.
Our winters are much colder, but your winters are far far wetter.
Our dangerous season for a lot of plants is a couple weeks in spring when we have a moist cool period from the teens to the thirties but overcast with some days of drizzle - Probably similar to your winter.
Siouxland: USDA Zone 4b/5a & heat zone 6/7. Extremes at our farm: 108 F to -38 F.
Arid grassland with dry sunny winters, moderate summers, 27" annual precipitation.
nsp88
Ready to Bolt

Post by nsp88 »

westfork wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:57 am
nsp88 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:29 am
Yes and no - Maybe.
Our winters are much colder, but your winters are far far wetter.
Our dangerous season for a lot of plants is a couple weeks in spring when we have a moist cool period from the teens to the thirties but overcast with some days of drizzle - Probably similar to your winter.
Yep, sounds a lot like our winter. Lots of drizzle and cold. Lots of downpours and cool, too. And of course, days that feel like spring.
abborean
Ready to Bolt

Post by abborean »

Semps are northern things and don't do well here in SE NC though I've seen plantings that were successful. Orostachys are very tolerant of our weather despite being from northern Asia. I embed them in porous rock.
Gafoto
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 7b

Post by Gafoto »

Not the season to ship them but I have a variety of sempervivum I can share. I can’t remember the names of any of them but quite a few are cultivars from Mountain Crest Gardens. They always struggle in mid-summer when the sun is highest but do well in spring and fall. They actually tend to do well nursed under agave and yucca bases with a bit of midday shade.

Shoot me a message in late April/May and I’ll grab you some.
nsp88
Ready to Bolt

Post by nsp88 »

Gafoto wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:22 pm Not the season to ship them but I have a variety of sempervivum I can share. I can’t remember the names of any of them but quite a few are cultivars from Mountain Crest Gardens. They always struggle in mid-summer when the sun is highest but do well in spring and fall. They actually tend to do well nursed under agave and yucca bases with a bit of midday shade.

Shoot me a message in late April/May and I’ll grab you some.
Awesome! I'll try to set some kind of reminder. Thanks!
westfork
Offset

Post by westfork »

A box is headed your way in the morning. Each variety is in a labeled envelope but make sure you open the box and let them breathe when they arrive. I just pulled them from the ground tonight and they shouldn't be too moist- We have entered our winter dry season and these have been through many temps in the mid teens already this fall. These are the varieties that survived with no watering and no winter protection in raised garden soil with a rock mulch. Nothing special but easy.
nsp88
Ready to Bolt

Post by nsp88 »

westfork wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:16 pm A box is headed your way in the morning. Each variety is in a labeled envelope but make sure you open the box and let them breathe when they arrive. I just pulled them from the ground tonight and they shouldn't be too moist- We have entered our winter dry season and these have been through many temps in the mid teens already this fall. These are the varieties that survived with no watering and no winter protection in raised garden soil with a rock mulch. Nothing special but easy.
Thank you so much! Will do. I love easy plants, so that is great! I'll try them different ways; in pots, in ground with heavily ammended soil, etc. If they start struggling with wet winters I'll shelter them to keep them drier.
westfork
Offset

Post by westfork »

I tossed in 8 forms of Jovibarba rollers too. Cute little plants and have proven to be very easy to grow here. Just don't open more than one envelope at a time or some of the rollers may jump ship and go with the others - Hard to tell them apart when small. Many are the same species but different populations whose mature appearance differs. The collection location data is on the envelopes (mountain range, etc). The soil doesn't need to be as heavily modified as it is for most of what is grown on this forum. Just as long as it doesn't stay soggy. I think a lot of mine would grow larger if I actually watered them.
nsp88
Ready to Bolt

Post by nsp88 »

westfork wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:07 pm I tossed in 8 forms of Jovibarba rollers too. Cute little plants and have proven to be very easy to grow here. Just don't open more than one envelope at a time or some of the rollers may jump ship and go with the others - Hard to tell them apart when small. Many are the same species but different populations whose mature appearance differs. The collection location data is on the envelopes (mountain range, etc). The soil doesn't need to be as heavily modified as it is for most of what is grown on this forum. Just as long as it doesn't stay soggy. I think a lot of mine would grow larger if I actually watered them.
Awesome, you rock!
Thanks for the warning. I've been known to open plant packs too quickly and get things mixed up...
I'm wondering if the super sandy soil I'm growing some of my agaves in the ground will work.
Thanks!