Greetings from Kentucky!

Welcome to Agaveville! Please stop in and tell us a little bit about yourself and your gardening interests.
astraflyer84
USDA Zone: 6b

Greetings from Kentucky!

Post by astraflyer84 »

Hey everyone! I've been into succulents and bananas for a while and am starting an agave collection. I have a 250sq ft greenhouse I recently built to house all my plant friends. However there is one agave I fell in love with on a recent trip to the Bahamas. I figured I could easily acquire the seeds back in the states but so far haven't had any luck. It is agave braceana or braces century plant. After finding out it is endemic to the Bahamas I was concerned it would be much harder to come by. But would be shocked if there are no seeds or specimens stateside! Anyone heard of or know any good sources for seeds? I've been googling without much luck.
nsp88
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8a

Re: Greetings from Kentucky!

Post by nsp88 »

Sounds like you've got a reason to go back to the Bahamas! So I just looked and couldn't find anything. I tried FB marketplace, too, but it was acting up. Maybe it just doesn't show international results? You might want to give it a try too and see if you get anything. Did you stay at an airbnb by any chance where you might talk the owner into finding some for you? Do any dives or other tourist stuff with smaller companies or groups that you might be able to contact someone from? Maybe they could hook you up. Probably run into issues with mailing seeds, though. Maybe you could reach out to some nurseries over there about sending some. They might know what it takes to mail seeds/plants internationally. Just spitballing ideas, sorry nothing useful.
astraflyer84
USDA Zone: 6b

Post by astraflyer84 »

That is a great idea actually reaching out to some of thier nurseries. I'll give that a shot and let everyone know how it works out.. But yes also another reason to go back lol.
Tom in Tucson
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Tom in Tucson »

Having never heard of this species, I did a little Googelng to learn anything about this attractive plant.

From iNaturalist

I've heard that the many species found in the Caribbean area are understandably frost sensitive, but it looks like most of them should thrive in a greenhouse.

Since Palm Beach and Boca Raton are little more than a "stones throw" from their native range, and since this area is a boaters paradise, I'm sure someone has grown these in the nurseries of these cities, (or they know who's growing some). It should be easy to contact them.

Welcome to the Forum.! You've arrived at the best site for learning more about a variety of xerophytic plants!
Casas Adobes, AZ