D texanum offsets?

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Beaucarnea, Calibanus, Cordyline, Dasylirion, Dracaena, Nolina, Sansevieria and related species.

Moderator: Spination

Fairview
Offset
USDA Zone: 8

D texanum offsets?

Post by Fairview »

Purchased several D texanum some time ago. I selected the largest, fullest containers that also had multiple plants in them. Does this Dasylirion typically make offsets early on or more likely did the grower just put more than 1 in a container to fill it up? The teeth point to the center of the plant so pretty sure it's texanum.

If I want to divide them, should I now wait until spring?

Thanks
Mckinney, Texas. 30 Miles North of Dallas. What I'm trying to grow: A ovatifolia: whales tongue, frosty blue, vanzie, sharkskin, parrasana, montana, parryi JC Raulston, Bellville, Bluebell Giant, havardiana, polianthiflora, parviflora, havardiana x neomexicana
jam
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 7a/b

Re: D texanum offsets?

Post by jam »

Fairview wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:25 pm Purchased several D texanum some time ago. I selected the largest, fullest containers that also had multiple plants in them. Does this Dasylirion typically make offsets early on or more likely did the grower just put more than 1 in a container to fill it up? The teeth point to the center of the plant so pretty sure it's texanum.

Thanks
It was discussed quite recently here: https://agaveville.org/viewtopic.php?t=11934
The conclusion was it is rare for Dasylirion to grow offsets but it does happen occasionally, probably more so often with potted plants than in the wild.

Yes, the teeth pointing towards the center give away texanum. @Meangreen94z did post a pic of leaf detail comparison of texanum and leiophillum but I can't find it.

I would leave it as it is. Learnt/learned my lesson. The pup I had separated succumbed very soon after.
Setting up a Chihuahuan laboratory.
Paul S
Ready to Bolt

Post by Paul S »

Edit. Deleted my post as I was talking about nolinas. :?
jam
Ready to Bolt

Post by jam »

Paul S wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 1:18 am Edit. Deleted my post as I was talking about nolinas. :?
I missed it. I would love to know what you were saying about Nolinas :))
Paul S
Ready to Bolt

Post by Paul S »

Just that the trunkless ones offset quite a lot, even before flowering. Nolina texana included. Then my brain made an unsolicited leap. :roll:
jam
Ready to Bolt

Post by jam »

Paul S wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 4:32 am Just that the trunkless ones offset quite a lot, even before flowering. Nolina texana included. Then my brain made an unsolicited leap. :roll:
Happens to me, too. The section where the post is located is called Nolinoideae, after all.

Anyway, good to know Nolinas behave differently when it comes down to producing offsets. I would guess, because of this, they also have greater capability to come back from roots, more like Yuccas tend to, in cases when the mother plant dies for whatever reason.
Paul S
Ready to Bolt

Post by Paul S »

Indeed, that is my thought also. I suspect it is more to do with surviving flash fires in habitat than cold but a useful attribute.
jam
Ready to Bolt

Post by jam »

jam wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 1:11 am
Fairview wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:25 pm Purchased several D texanum some time ago. I selected the largest, fullest containers that also had multiple plants in them. Does this Dasylirion typically make offsets early on or more likely did the grower just put more than 1 in a container to fill it up? The teeth point to the center of the plant so pretty sure it's texanum.

Thanks
It was discussed quite recently here: https://agaveville.org/viewtopic.php?t=11934
The conclusion was it is rare for Dasylirion to grow offsets but it does happen occasionally, probably more so often with potted plants than in the wild.

Yes, the teeth pointing towards the center give away texanum. @Meangreen94z did post a pic of leaf detail comparison of texanum and leiophillum but I can't find it.

I would leave it as it is. Learnt/learned my lesson. The pup I had separated succumbed very soon after.
I've found the photo posted by Daniel and it's the other way round. Texanum outward spines and leiophyllum towards the base spines.

Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Gee.S »

Dunno about those Texas Dasys, but they look quite similar to D. wheeleri. I have never seen a D. wheeleri offset.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
jam
Ready to Bolt

Post by jam »

@Fairview I hope the provided info was sufficient for you to make a right decision.
Paul S
Ready to Bolt

Post by Paul S »

Gee.S wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:56 pm Dunno about those Texas Dasys, but they look quite similar to D. wheeleri. I have never seen a D. wheeleri offset.
This dasy is round the corner from where I live (I gave it to him, in fact) It flowered the year before last, re-grew from a growth point next to the flower spike, which you can see, but also offset at the base. I'm fairly, but not completely, sure it is a wheeleri - it looks like one!. If not, then probably cedrosanum, but how do you tell robust plants with wide, wavy glaucous leaves apart? I am sure examination of the flowers with a hand lens might be revealing but I've never quite managed to work up the enthusiasm to do that. I had two the same, bought as Dasylirion sp 'La Coahuila' which, although probably collection data, could equally refer to a tiny pueblo anywhere in Mexico/southern USA or the entire Mexican state. I have no idea. I've seen similar plants in Coahuila that I imagine would have been cedrosanum and also plants in Arizona that would be wheeleri.

My own plant flowered and died, this one did a lot better. Which is the story of my life, in many ways! :D
IMG_20231130_112640.jpg
IMG_20231130_112640.jpg (602.3 KiB) Viewed 1757 times