Greetings from Spring Valley

Welcome to Agaveville! Please stop in and tell us a little bit about yourself and your gardening interests.
Fouquieria
Rhizome

Greetings from Spring Valley

Post by Fouquieria »

I don't garden much anymore. As I've gotten older I developed diabetes, lost a leg, had open heart quintuple bypass, & went on dialysis. Now I'm waiting for cataract procedure!
After I retired, I gardened with a passion. I was down the hill every day. The lot is steep in the extreme and also extremely ROCKY.
So, I can't go down there much any more and so the yard has been neglected. I've lost many things, the weeds and leaf debris have taken over.
Things have fallen over. It's a mess.
Anyway, here are some old pics of the yard in its heyday. Basically I use to try and grow everything that was somewhat xeric.
Most of these old pics are of the yard below the house. I also own the two lots next door and they were planted out too.
Over the years as I've gone through computers, I've lost tons of old photos, so I don't have any of the two lots.
Because I use to have two Bullmastiff sisters, the yard was entirely fenced in, including the side lots.
I'll try and post once in awhile. Love the photos on here.

-Ron-
Attachments
nIOAD-3.jpeg
nIOAD-3.jpeg (243.09 KiB) Viewed 1757 times
nIIT8-3.jpeg
nIIT8-3.jpeg (303.64 KiB) Viewed 1757 times
nfT5d-3.jpeg
nfT5d-3.jpeg (247.31 KiB) Viewed 1757 times
nZm2O-3.jpeg
nZm2O-3.jpeg (226.79 KiB) Viewed 1757 times
nqyh1-3.jpeg
nqyh1-3.jpeg (192.06 KiB) Viewed 1757 times
Eqpq-3.jpeg
Eqpq-3.jpeg (222.3 KiB) Viewed 1757 times
eKR2-3.jpeg
eKR2-3.jpeg (239.23 KiB) Viewed 1757 times
dsQ3-3.jpeg
dsQ3-3.jpeg (278.99 KiB) Viewed 1757 times
68eY-3.jpeg
68eY-3.jpeg (293.75 KiB) Viewed 1757 times
59M3-3.jpeg
59M3-3.jpeg (322.93 KiB) Viewed 1757 times
Paul S
Ready to Bolt

Re: Greetings from Spring Valley

Post by Paul S »

That is some portfolio of medical issues, Ron! :(

Your garden set the bar for me. Were I ever to live somewhere with that same climate, your garden is what I would aspire to. You must look back on the pictures with a mixture of sadness, but also pride because you achieved something quite special. Whatever it is like now, no-one can take away what it was. Breathtaking combinations.
Fouquieria
Rhizome

Post by Fouquieria »

Paul,

As an idea of how things have changed...in that photo with the hammock. Right below it is a little Yucca rostrata. Now it's about seven feet tall!

-Ron-
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Post by Stan »

I was thinking Ron you might ask a local master gardeners course or local C&S club to come in and learn what it takes to get you back your world known garden. Free cuttings!
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.
Fouquieria
Rhizome

Post by Fouquieria »

Lots of Euphorbias throughout the yard.
Attachments
28ede0.jpg
28ede0.jpg (353.03 KiB) Viewed 1460 times
Fouquieria
Rhizome

Post by Fouquieria »

Puya_venusta5.jpg
Puya_venusta5.jpg (177.08 KiB) Viewed 1457 times
Attachments
Puya_venusta2.jpg
Puya_venusta2.jpg (259.23 KiB) Viewed 1457 times
Fouquieria
Rhizome

Post by Fouquieria »

f9e02d.jpg
f9e02d.jpg (388.44 KiB) Viewed 1451 times
Fouquieria
Rhizome

Post by Fouquieria »

0957cd.jpg
0957cd.jpg (238.83 KiB) Viewed 1447 times
Paul S
Ready to Bolt

Post by Paul S »

Fouquieria wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:43 am Puya_venusta5.jpg
What a flower! Can't grow that one here, sadly.
Tom in Tucson
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Tom in Tucson »

0957cd.jpg
0957cd.jpg (181.4 KiB) Viewed 1350 times
Hi Ron. if you'll please forgive me for not sending you a personal message instead, I'd like to add several comments, and many questions as well, to your introductory post:

First off, when I was the multi-annual sales director for the San Diego Cactus and Succulent Society, from the mid '90s to the early 2000s I believe I may have briefly spoken with you at those sales events. At that time, did you use a walking stick (cane) as an ambulatory device?

I spend possibly an excessive amount of time commenting on the Palmtalk forum. There used to be a member there who posted 1000s of times, that now only occasionally posts any comments (found a more interesting forum?). His user name is MattyB (Matt Bradford), and he has one of the largest personal palm gardens in the world. He too is a resident of Spring Valley. Do you know him?

Spring Valley has one of the most conducive climates in the US for growing a huge variety pf plants. I lived near you several times (San Carlos region of San Diego, the area near 70th and El Cajon Blvd., and La Mesa near Lake Murray Blvd. (by the dam)), so I think I know what a delightful climate you must have to enjoy a potentially (if not already) fabulous garden in.

On other forums you belong to, I've always wondered the following about your avatar, and it's relationship to your chosen user name; do you have any special affinity to the Fouquieria genus? Why did you choose to use a small grove of fat Madagascar Baobabs as your avatar, rather than instead using a member of the ocotillo family?

As a personal aside, A once somewhat famous (eccentric?) character known as Whitman (Whit) Evans, (a former Phoenix resident) who was honored by the use of his name for the genus Neoevansia by William Taylor Marshall (see IPNI for details). If I remember correctly Evansia was a genus of the mollusk order. He once was a good friend of mine, who I'll always remember. I could expound to near excess as to just how he effected my life, but I'll save that for another time.

Anyway, for several reasons besides my friendship with Whit, I still prefer to use that genus name for what is now the genus "du jour"name of Peniocereus for several other members of this valid genus name. Is the name of the image you posted Neoevansia diguetii, or of another species, or possibly a Selenicereus? Whatever it is, it is stunning!
Casas Adobes, AZ
tangiguy985
Rhizome
USDA Zone: 8b

Post by tangiguy985 »

Hello Ron, I am so sorry for your various (much) ailments and how it has very much impacted your true passion for growing your landscape. The pictures you submitted of your landscape are just beautiful and stunning. Being an amateur landscaper, I can very much appreciate all the time, hard work, and labor of love you expended achieving such a stunning yard. Thank you so much for sharing this with us.

tangiguy985