Germination of a few species

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Cycadaceae, Stangeriaceae, Zamiaceae and related plants.

Moderator: Geoff

meridannight
Offset

Germination of a few species

Post by meridannight »

This summer I'm going to try germinating Cycads for the first time. I absolutely love these plants and wanna grow a number of different species. It's always more exciting for me to grow plants from seed than buy them.

I have read the basics about germinating Cycads, so I have a general idea how to go about it. Below are the species I'm gonna try. If anyone has experience with them and/or some tips, I'd love to hear about it.

Cycas clivicola ssp clivicola
Cycas clivicola ssp lutea
Cycas debaoensis
Dioon holmgrenii
Zamia furfuracea
Species I'm growing from seed: Agave nizandensis, Agave difformis, Agave parryi, Agave schidigera, Aloe alooides, Aloe manandonae, Aloe dhufarensis, Aloe barbara-jeppeae, Hyophorbe verschaffeltii, Kerriodoxa elegans, Johannesteijsmannia altifrons, Chrysalidocarpus leptocheilos, Licuala grandis.
gave_agave
Offset

Re: Germination of a few species

Post by gave_agave »

I've sprouted some Cycas and Dioon species in a tub with moist vermiculite, placed on a heatmap. Germination varied from 1-2 months to over a year.
I love how new leaves develop and unfurl, just a bit sad they're slow and don't make many new flushes a year. Some skip years, some species I manage to get 2-3 flushes a year (C. petraea, C. taitungensis).
I've noticed they respond well to fertilizer in the growing season.
meridannight
Offset

Post by meridannight »

gave_agave wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:13 am I've sprouted some Cycas and Dioon species in a tub with moist vermiculite, placed on a heatmap. Germination varied from 1-2 months to over a year.
I love how new leaves develop and unfurl, just a bit sad they're slow and don't make many new flushes a year. Some skip years, some species I manage to get 2-3 flushes a year (C. petraea, C. taitungensis).
I've noticed they respond well to fertilizer in the growing season.

What would you say your germination rate for the seeds was? Less than 50%? More than 50%?
Species I'm growing from seed: Agave nizandensis, Agave difformis, Agave parryi, Agave schidigera, Aloe alooides, Aloe manandonae, Aloe dhufarensis, Aloe barbara-jeppeae, Hyophorbe verschaffeltii, Kerriodoxa elegans, Johannesteijsmannia altifrons, Chrysalidocarpus leptocheilos, Licuala grandis.
gave_agave
Offset

Post by gave_agave »

It varied, from one Dioon species (D. merolae I believe) I had two seeds which never germinated in 2 years, but for all others (C. revoluta, C. taitungensis, C. petraea, D. edule, D. califanoi, D. holmgrenii) germination rates were high, 80%+.
As I understand it, at least for some species, the seeds need to go through a dormant period, which might have been the cause the seeds from one species didn't germinate.
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8B

Post by Meangreen94z »

I’ve had good success with Cycas and Dioon, but the few Zamia/Ceratozamia I attempted rotted. You want it moist/humid/warm but not too wet or they will rot. The age of the seed makes a big difference in viability.
Austin, Texas
meridannight
Offset

Post by meridannight »

Thanks for all the info/tips. I've ordered my Cycas seeds and hopefully this will be the start to a long and exciting journey. I'm particularly excited about C. debaoensis -- if I get that one to come up, I'll be very satisfied.

House is at 30º C (90º F) with 70% humidity. Now all I need is my seeds to arrive.
meridannight
Offset

Post by meridannight »

Germinated my first Cycad today! This is an undescribed species listed on RPS site as Cycas sp. Silver (or Thai Silver Sago).

Took 10 days from when I planted the seeds for the first one to germinate. I'll probably be doing this for the rest of my life, love these plants.
Attachments
IMG_2099.jpeg
IMG_2099.jpeg (471.24 KiB) Viewed 7192 times
Tom in Tucson
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Tom in Tucson »

meridannight wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:05 pm Germinated my first Cycad today! This is an undescribed species listed on RPS site as Cycas sp. Silver (or Thai Silver Sago).

Took 10 days from when I planted the seeds for the first one to germinate. I'll probably be doing this for the rest of my life, love these plants.
Aren't you the lucky one. As I'm sure your aware, it can often take months for cycads to sprout. I would also like to "try my hand" at some, but I haven't "stumbled" on any yet that I really want to grow.

In the meantime, I'm content to just buying seedlings. A couple I bought the other day (Dioon vovidesii and Macrozamia macdonellii x (M. macdonellii x M. johnsonii), will keep me occupied until I "stumble" on some seeds I can't resist.
Casas Adobes, AZ
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt

Post by Meangreen94z »

I was big into them for a while, but unfortunately RPS is just about the only source for rarer species. I could stomach their “new” shipping rates in certain situations but it seems their selection has dried up. A lot of the Australian species I like to grow have been recently restricted in commercial use by the Australian government .
Austin, Texas
Tom in Tucson
Ready to Bolt

Post by Tom in Tucson »

Meangreen94z wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:55 pm I was big into them for a while, but unfortunately RPS is just about the only source for rarer species. I could stomach their “new” shipping rates in certain situations but it seems their selection has dried up. A lot of the Australian species I like to grow have been recently restricted in commercial use by the Australian government .
I understand why any country might impose export restrictions on vulnerable species that are native to that country to try to discourage poaching, but what I can't figure out is why Australia won't allow the exportation of any plants or seeds regardless of their origin. Who decided that was the best policy?
Casas Adobes, AZ
meridannight
Offset

Post by meridannight »

Tom in Tucson wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:13 pm Aren't you the lucky one. As I'm sure your aware, it can often take months for cycads to sprout. I would also like to "try my hand" at some, but I haven't "stumbled" on any yet that I really want to grow.

In the meantime, I'm content to just buying seedlings. A couple I bought the other day (Dioon vovidesii and Macrozamia macdonellii x (M. macdonellii x M. johnsonii), will keep me occupied until I "stumble" on some seeds I can't resist.

I was surprised myself that it happened so soon. Not gonna take this to be the rule, I know it usually takes longer. But I was really glad to see that first green nub pointing out of the seed. As I get the hang of it, I will try more and rarer species.
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt

Post by Meangreen94z »

Tom in Tucson wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:00 pm
Meangreen94z wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:55 pm I was big into them for a while, but unfortunately RPS is just about the only source for rarer species. I could stomach their “new” shipping rates in certain situations but it seems their selection has dried up. A lot of the Australian species I like to grow have been recently restricted in commercial use by the Australian government .
I understand why any country might impose export restrictions on vulnerable species that are native to that country to try to discourage poaching, but what I can't figure out is why Australia won't allow the exportation of any plants or seeds regardless of their origin. Who decided that was the best policy?
I figure it makes it easier to regulate. They probably ran into all kinds of tricks used to export poached seed, as something more common and cultivated. Not something we want to hear as enthusiasts .
Austin, Texas
Tom in Tucson
Ready to Bolt

Post by Tom in Tucson »

Meangreen94z wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:43 pm
Tom in Tucson wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:00 pm
I figure it makes it easier to regulate. They probably ran into all kinds of tricks used to export poached seed, as something more common and cultivated. Not something we want to hear as enthusiasts .
Your theory is the best I've seen. How could we best find the truth (even though it's likely to be purely academic)?
Casas Adobes, AZ
meridannight
Offset

Post by meridannight »

Anybody ever try planting some Cycads in community pots (to save space)? I've heard of a couple of guys doing it, but I'm not so sure whether it's a good idea.

So far, I have 8/10 Cycas sp Silver come up, 5/10 Cycas clivicola, and 2/10 Cycas debaoensis. All planted August 5, so the germination has been fast. I'm thinking of trying community pots for a few of them, if that's a viable option to grow them for a year or so?
meridannight
Offset

Post by meridannight »

I also planted Zamia furfuracea seeds this summer, at the end of August and beginning of September. And these are rapid little things. It didn't take them 2 weeks till germination started. And the first ones that came up are already flushing. I'm gonna end up with a whole army this way. Whether they had a surplus of stock, or nobody was buying them, or they just winged the amount -- I don't know -- but RPS sent me 270 seeds when I ordered 100. I already have about 50 seedlings growing, and the seeds are still coming up. I know this is a boring species, being one of the most commonly grown Cycads, and those of you in Florida must cringe when they see these being grown from seed. But it's good to practice on these, them being cheap and plentiful. And they're still exotic for those of us living in the EU.
Attachments
IMG_4969b.jpg
IMG_4969b.jpg (549.2 KiB) Viewed 6720 times
IMG_4975b.jpg
IMG_4975b.jpg (473.34 KiB) Viewed 6720 times
IMG_4977b.jpg
IMG_4977b.jpg (502.57 KiB) Viewed 6720 times
IMG_4986b.jpg
IMG_4986b.jpg (251.64 KiB) Viewed 6720 times
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt

Post by Meangreen94z »

Nice. I’ll have to see what survived the summer. A lot of my Zamia and Ceratozamia burned even in afternoon shade. On relatively young plants and seedlings that can sometimes be fatal.
Austin, Texas
meridannight
Offset

Post by meridannight »

Meangreen94z wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:15 pm Nice. I’ll have to see what survived the summer. A lot of my Zamia and Ceratozamia burned even in afternoon shade. On relatively young plants and seedlings that can sometimes be fatal.
You had an extraordinary amount of heat this summer though.
meridannight
Offset

Post by meridannight »

Cycas sp Silver root system 76 days after planting the seed. Germination took 10 days.
Attachments
IMG_5294 copy.jpeg
IMG_5294 copy.jpeg (671.74 KiB) Viewed 6624 times
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt

Post by Meangreen94z »

meridannight wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:26 pm Cycas sp Silver root system 76 days after planting the seed. Germination took 10 days.
Nice, I had one of those several years ago as a seedling that up and rotted. I’ve seen seeds again recently, maybe I should try again
Austin, Texas
meridannight
Offset

Post by meridannight »

Meangreen94z wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:49 am Nice, I had one of those several years ago as a seedling that up and rotted. I’ve seen seeds again recently, maybe I should try again
RPS had them in stock twice over the summer (which they ran out of within a week both times!) and their germination rate was 80% planted right out of the package.
meridannight
Offset

Post by meridannight »

I finally have a first flush from Cycas debaoensis. What a beauty! Even at this young age. Next time I have a chance to buy these seeds, I'm gonna get 100, not just 10.

So, C. debaoensis was planted on Aug 5 and the first germination occurred on Aug 26.This flush has been developing for over a month.
Attachments
IMG_6502b.jpg
IMG_6502b.jpg (227.42 KiB) Viewed 4683 times
IMG_6512b.jpg
IMG_6512b.jpg (228.28 KiB) Viewed 4683 times
IMG_6505b.jpg
IMG_6505b.jpg (207.98 KiB) Viewed 4683 times
IMG_6508b.jpg
IMG_6508b.jpg (210.28 KiB) Viewed 4683 times
IMG_6498b.jpg
IMG_6498b.jpg (211.75 KiB) Viewed 4683 times
IMG_6516b.jpg
IMG_6516b.jpg (391.6 KiB) Viewed 4683 times
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt

Post by Meangreen94z »

Very nice. Hopefully I’ll have pictures to post in a few weeks.
Austin, Texas