Enough Lithops?

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Delosperma, Faucaria, Lapidaria, Lithops, Oscularia, Pleiospilos and related species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.
mickthecactus

Enough Lithops?

Post by mickthecactus »

Saw this in a Garden Centre this morning. Pretty good value for £5.99!
56B74451-9C12-4AE9-830B-FD57494D1B8F.jpeg
56B74451-9C12-4AE9-830B-FD57494D1B8F.jpeg (445.67 KiB) Viewed 3082 times
Tom in Tucson
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 9b

Re: Enough Lithops?

Post by Tom in Tucson »

🌴🌴🌴
Casas Adobes, AZ
meridannight
Offset

Post by meridannight »

That's a good deal. And nice colors as well.

That said, I haven't figured out what the secret with these is yet. I've tried these guys once and did my best not to overwater, but still I guess I did. Kept them dry for a long time (in my opinion) and then on one single watering they turned to mush and died. I guess I have to do more intensive research before I try them again.
Species I'm growing from seed: Agave nizandensis, Agave difformis, Agave parryi, Agave schidigera, Aloe alooides, Aloe manandonae, Aloe dhufarensis, Aloe barbara-jeppeae, Hyophorbe verschaffeltii, Kerriodoxa elegans, Johannesteijsmannia altifrons, Chrysalidocarpus leptocheilos, Licuala grandis.
mickthecactus

Post by mickthecactus »

I don’t grow them now but I didn’t find them difficult as long as you follow the rules.

In autumn or late summer they will flower and you can then see new leaves starting to form in the centre. Even if they don’t flower that will happen. Stop watering now until they are fully formed and the old leaves have dried up. When the new leaves feel rubbery then water.

Very well drained compost of course, a minimum of 50% grit and don’t overpot.
meridannight
Offset

Post by meridannight »

mickthecactus wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:20 am I don’t grow them now but I didn’t find them difficult as long as you follow the rules.

In autumn or late summer they will flower and you can then see new leaves starting to form in the centre. Even if they don’t flower that will happen. Stop watering now until they are fully formed and the old leaves have dried up. When the new leaves feel rubbery then water.

Very well drained compost of course, a minimum of 50% grit and don’t overpot.
Thanks. I guess I just didn't look too deep into what they wanted at the time. I saw some nice ones at the local garden center here, and might pick them up and give it a go again.
Species I'm growing from seed: Agave nizandensis, Agave difformis, Agave parryi, Agave schidigera, Aloe alooides, Aloe manandonae, Aloe dhufarensis, Aloe barbara-jeppeae, Hyophorbe verschaffeltii, Kerriodoxa elegans, Johannesteijsmannia altifrons, Chrysalidocarpus leptocheilos, Licuala grandis.