Imidacloprid on agave seedlings- application question

Use this section to discuss matters relating to any and all issues involving horticultural pest and disease management. This is where one posts unknown pest/damage photos for ID help.
nsp88
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8a

Imidacloprid on agave seedlings- application question

Post by nsp88 »

I threw a bunch of new plants from all over the place in a plant rack and now I have mealy bugs on some of my sedums and delosperma (came from a nursery). Neem oil and castile soap aren't fully working.

Then today noticed aphids on my agave seedlings (no clue where they came from, not showing up on anything else yet). A lot of them. I sprayed neem and castile soap on them, and also just ordered idacloprid for pickup tomorrow.

I have seen discussions on here about dilution ratios, so I will go find those for that info

My main question is: Do I spray the seedlings or just the soil? What about on larger plants-spray the plant all over or just the soil?

Secondary questions: Do I water after spraying? How frequently do I spray? Just once?

Thanks
Screenshot_20231212-231449.png
Screenshot_20231212-231449.png (756.26 KiB) Viewed 1545 times
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Re: Imidacloprid on agave seedlings- application question

Post by Gee.S »

I wouldn't apply any type of systemic on seedlings. I would spray them with something nasty, perhaps malathion. I wouldn't normally recommend something nasty to spray indoors, but the upside of malathion in that regard is that is loses potency very quickly.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
nsp88
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8a

Post by nsp88 »

Okay, thanks. I will go get some.

I can take them outside and spray and let dry then bring inside. And then they are locked in a restroom the kids can't get in.
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Gee.S »

That's a good plan. And in just a few days they're perfectly safe.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"