Pictures are Loaded Every Way Except Right Side Up

Discuss cameras, settings, composition, software, and anything related to photography as it pertains to our plants, gardens, and landscapes.
Fairview
Offset
USDA Zone: 8

Pictures are Loaded Every Way Except Right Side Up

Post by Fairview »

I know how much the site admin loves posted pics that are topsy-turvy. Why is it necessary that to get the correct orientation I need to do a screen shot first and post that rather than post directly? When I post a pic directly it shows up everyway except the right way even when I rotate it to compensate for the wrong orientation. It's impossible to get anything but a screen shot to show up with the correct orientation.

I will spare Gee.S an example of what is happening when I post a pic that isn't a screen shot.
Mckinney, Texas. 30 Miles North of Dallas. What I'm trying to grow: A ovatifolia: whales tongue, frosty blue, vanzie, sharkskin, parrasana, montana, parryi JC Raulston, Bellville, Bluebell Giant, havardiana, polianthiflora, parviflora, havardiana x neomexicana
nsp88
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8a

Re: Pictures are Loaded Every Way Except Right Side Up

Post by nsp88 »

I'm not entirely sure, but I think when you take a photo with a phone camera horizontally/landscape, the site wants to load it that way (which looks wrong) instead of autorotating like a phone does. Autorotate on phones does screwy stuff when doing your own rotating and then mixing it with the site. Not really sure.

Have you tried using a photo that was taken just straight up and down/portrait mode with your phone and uploading straight like that?

From camera shots, it wants to do portrait/vertical photos wrong. I always open them up in another app on computer and just resave them and then it works.
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Gee.S »

As far as I know, this is exclusively (or almost exclusively) an iPhone thing, and it has to do with rotating photos to match phone orientation.

It never happens to me, because I exclusively use DSLR cameras for taking photos, phones for texting/talking, and computers for computing -- and yes, I know that leaves me in a VERY small minority. I have uploaded tens of thousands of photos here and never once had one orient incorrectly.

In at least some instances, the issue is as easy to deal with as taking/posting landscapes rather than portraits. Try it. It is almost always portraits that fall over into landscape position.

Agaveville does have a section for testing, where you can upload all the sideways photos you want: Test Forum
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
mcvansoest
Location: Tempe, Arizona, USA ie. Low Desert & Urban Heat Island
USDA Zone: 9a/b

Post by mcvansoest »

Have you tried cropping the image ever so slightly - and post the cropped image? I have heard people say that tends to solve the issue, but since I never post directly from my iPhone but go the through Photos app on my iMac I have not had the issue.
It is what it is!