Monocots can be grafted at embryonic root–shoot interface

Discuss any and all issues that don't fit neatly into one of our other forum sections.
nsp88
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8a

Monocots can be grafted at embryonic root–shoot interface

Post by nsp88 »

They don't even have to be too closely related.
If anyone has the journal access and could give a hookup to the article itself, I'd appreciate it. If not, the video itself has some short but insightful footage and some of the figures from the article are available via google image search.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-021-04247-y

https://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news/new ... sh-bananas

https://www.google.com/search?sca_esv=5 ... =953&dpr=1
Tom in Tucson
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 9b

Re: Monocots can be grafted at embryonic root–shoot interface

Post by Tom in Tucson »

Interesting video. 2 thoughts come to mind;

1) Back in the '70s the US cactus journal published an article on the research done by Werner Rauh at the Heidelberg University showing (among other incredible grafts) the grafting of 2 Aloe species.

2) Being a palm fanatic, one of the most popular palms (the coconut) refuses to survive in soil less than around 65° F. If it could be grafted onto a species of palm that thrives in cooler soil (like Jubaea), this would be phenomenal! Other monocots with similar restrictions, such as being prone to root rot, could possibly be grown with ease.

🖒 🌴
Casas Adobes, AZ
nsp88
Ready to Bolt

Post by nsp88 »

Tom in Tucson wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:36 am Interesting video. 2 thoughts come to mind;

1) Back in the '70s the US cactus journal published an article on the research done by Werner Rauh at the Heidelberg University showing (among other incredible grafts) the grafting of 2 Aloe species.

2) Being a palm fanatic, one of the most popular palms (the coconut) refuses to survive in soil less than around 65° F. If it could be grafted onto a species of palm that thrives in cooler soil (like Jubaea), this would be phenomenal! Other monocots with similar restrictions, such as being prone to root rot, could possibly be grown with ease.

🖒 🌴
I saw another article about grafting large monocots, but I didn't read it yet. I think it was from the 50s, though.

That would be pretty awesome to grow coconuts where I live! I wonder what the trunk and leaves could handle with better roots.

I just learned about grafting jade, echeveria, and aeoniums last night, so I was looking into it. My thoughts turned to agaves and my first idea when I thought that was what would a bunch of (trunking) agave tops look like on top of a multi-trunk yucca. I then saw on this site about how most monocots don't work well, so I was just googling around about it and ran into this article. This type of grafting obviously wouldn't accomplish that agave-topped-yucca-trunked plant, but still interesting. In my tired state last night, I couldn't think of any functional scenarios for agave hobbyists and this type of grafting (even though they did experiment on A tequiliana), probably more commercially-oriented outcomes. But now that you mention that, I wonder if opuntia or yucca roots or some other freeze-tolerant roots could be used on a more cold-tolerant agave to make a really cold-tolerant potted agave. Usually when potted you lose something like 10-20 degrees of the cold tolerance, right? Having a potted havardiana or parryi with freeze-tolerant roots would be cool. I don't know if it is useful enough to pursue or not, but an interesting idea.
jam
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 7a/b

Post by jam »

nsp88 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:05 pm Usually when potted you lose something like 10-20 degrees of the cold tolerance, right? Having a potted havardiana or parryi with freeze-tolerant roots would be cool. I don't know if it is useful enough to pursue or not, but an interesting idea.
Despite this I successfully overwinter young succulent plants in pots, 3/4 of the pot burred in lose soil in a 1 meter high raised veggie wooden boxes. I use very inorganic mix and it's kept dry (using overhead rain protection) so you can imagine its thermodynamic properties.

You might like reading this article: The Roots of Plant Frost Hardiness and Tolerance if you haven't done so already. It contains a lot of interesting information.
Setting up a Chihuahuan laboratory.
nsp88
Ready to Bolt

Post by nsp88 »

jam wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:57 am
nsp88 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:05 pm Usually when potted you lose something like 10-20 degrees of the cold tolerance, right? Having a potted havardiana or parryi with freeze-tolerant roots would be cool. I don't know if it is useful enough to pursue or not, but an interesting idea.
Despite this I successfully overwinter young succulent plants in pots, 3/4 of the pot burred in lose soil in a 1 meter high raised veggie wooden boxes. I use very inorganic mix and it's kept dry (using overhead rain protection) so you can imagine its thermodynamic properties.

You might like reading this article: The Roots of Plant Frost Hardiness and Tolerance if you haven't done so already. It contains a lot of interesting information.
Okay, thanks! I will read it next time I'm on my computer. I hate reading long articles on a phone.