Noob Question About Gravel

Discuss any and all issues that don't fit neatly into one of our other forum sections.
Fairview
Offset
USDA Zone: 8

Noob Question About Gravel

Post by Fairview »

I see a lot of pics with some sort of gravel around the plants. Is this a cosmetic top dressing or does it serve a purpose?

Thanks
Mckinney, Texas. 30 Miles North of Dallas. What I'm trying to grow: A ovatifolia: whales tongue, frosty blue, vanzie, sharkskin, parrasana, montana, parryi JC Raulston, Bellville, Bluebell Giant, havardiana, polianthiflora, parviflora, havardiana x neomexicana
Tom in Tucson
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 9b

Re: Noob Question About Gravel

Post by Tom in Tucson »

Some people use a top dressing as a decorative addition like this,:

but for some species like this;

which leaves rot easily when kept wet too long. It helps to keep them out of contact with wet soil.
Casas Adobes, AZ
meridannight
Offset

Post by meridannight »

On some plants I cover the whole top layer with gravel to reduce water evaporation from the surface and thus prolong moisture retention of the soil. I suppose some growers might do it for appearance.
Species I'm growing from seed: Agave nizandensis, Agave difformis, Agave parryi, Agave schidigera, Aloe alooides, Aloe manandonae, Aloe dhufarensis, Aloe barbara-jeppeae, Hyophorbe verschaffeltii, Kerriodoxa elegans, Johannesteijsmannia altifrons, Chrysalidocarpus leptocheilos, Licuala grandis.
mickthecactus

Post by mickthecactus »

I do the opposite for Stapeliads as I want them to dry out quickly, they are so rot prone. But if I was showing them they would be top dressed.

Lovely plants Tom if they are yours.