E. agavoides cv 'red edge' hardiness

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Aeonium, Crassula, Dudleya, Echeveria, Kalanchoe, Rhodiola, Sedum, Sempervium and related species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.

Moderator: Aeonium2003

AGAVE_KILLER
Ready to Bolt

E. agavoides cv 'red edge' hardiness

Post by AGAVE_KILLER »

This clone, also called cv 'lipstick', has survived a low of 9F so far this winter and many nights in the teens and low twenties. The only protection it has is the insulation it gets from the Santolina behind it and overhead protection from winter moisture. It is planted at the top of a steep south-west facing slope. This photo was taken 12/9/14.

It produced two inflorescences, one of which aborted, the other continues to mature. There is a third and fourth inflorescence emerging. This is it's first winter in the ground, it was planted out in June. It is looking a bit haggard now, will take a photo this week, but it is still plugging away.

I'm impressed with how hardy it has proven -- definitely has exceeded my expectations.
e_agavoides.jpg
e_agavoides.jpg (182.42 KiB) Viewed 3021 times
Geoff

Re: E. agavoides cv 'red edge' hardiness

Post by Geoff »

Wow.. that is hard to believe… but mine have not been damaged either, but we only got down to 19F this year...
AGAVE_KILLER
Ready to Bolt

Post by AGAVE_KILLER »

I know, I keep waiting for it to get killed but it just won't -- not that I'm hoping for that outcome . . .

I wish people would post mortality data from first hand experience for this plant, because it seems to be tougher than the widely claimed zone 9 hardiness. I want to know exact conditions where it has been killed.
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Well, I killed one once by overwatering it... does that help? I also ran over a sucker once and flattened it.. so the plant does have some limitations.
AGAVE_KILLER
Ready to Bolt

Post by AGAVE_KILLER »

Haha, good to know I'm not the only one who has killed plants by car.

I'm thinking less vehicular limits and more like temp limits.
AGAVE_KILLER
Ready to Bolt

Post by AGAVE_KILLER »

Here is the plant today 2/2/15.
IMG_6284.JPG
IMG_6284.JPG (146.75 KiB) Viewed 3010 times
IMG_6283.JPG
IMG_6283.JPG (167.54 KiB) Viewed 3010 times
Here is the winter rain protection it receives:
IMG_6285.JPG
IMG_6285.JPG (163.16 KiB) Viewed 3010 times
IMG_6286.JPG
IMG_6286.JPG (115.81 KiB) Viewed 3010 times
You can see the moisture line where the tent margins are. When it is wet this goes up, when it is not the plant is exposed 24/7. Yard kind of looks like plant equivalent of a Hooverville
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

very nice... where do you live that it gets down to 9F? I no longer feel so sorry for myself
AGAVE_KILLER
Ready to Bolt

Post by AGAVE_KILLER »

In Chapel Hill NC, about half an hour up the road from Tony at Plant Delights Nursery. 9F isn't the problem for most of these plants, it is the loads and loads of rain we get in the winter.

It is not uncommon to get 1 inch of rain followed by a drop into the teens. What's worse, is we often will have a period (like the past week) where it gets warm enough for plants to initiate growth, followed by heavy rain and steep drops in temps. E.g., today it rained 1/4-1/2 inch with a high of 57F, tonight the forecasted low is 23F. And that combination tends to be the worst.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Very cool to see the success of your plant under those conditions; that species is surprisingly cold-hardy and I never would have expected that. I'm aware of the rot tendency which Geoff mentioned, so I'm always careful about over-watering. Glad to know I don't have to worry about frost protection for them in our climate here.
Haven't tried running any over (yet) though, but I'll buy that they don't like that much... "so the plant does have some limitations" ! :lol: I have my first cold in several years right now, can't even sleep...so that comic remark produced a much welcomed laugh. Thanks Geoff! D))
Great info Dan, I really like these plants and knowing now how rugged they are in real cold conditions, I like them even more.
:))

PS. Yeah, the rain followed by cold is the worst. Keeping the plants dry with your apparatus is definitely a smart move.
AGAVE_KILLER
Ready to Bolt

Post by AGAVE_KILLER »

purpusorum is another tough one -- which is surprising considering it is from the Puebla/Oaxaca border. I'll post on that tomorrow -- 2/2 have survived 9F in pots unscathed, 1/2 getting ready to flower.

I'm going to trial more of the genus. I've found that when kept dry they can survive low low temps. Of course runyonii is famous for tolerating low temps, and I have found that to be the case, but I'm going to start pushing it after the success with these two.
JoyinAlb
Bulbil
USDA Zone: 7b

Post by JoyinAlb »

Agreed. I have a echeveria purpusorum outside. It's been sheltered in a pot on the porch but no cloths over it or purposeful protection. I checked on it yesterday and it looks like its grown since November (the last time I remember specifically looking at it)
JoyinAlb
Bulbil
USDA Zone: 7b

Post by JoyinAlb »

AGAVE_KILLER wrote: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:52 am Here is the plant today 2/2/15.

IMG_6284.JPG

IMG_6283.JPG

Here is the winter rain protection it receives:

IMG_6285.JPG

IMG_6286.JPG

You can see the moisture line where the tent margins are. When it is wet this goes up, when it is not the plant is exposed 24/7. Yard kind of looks like plant equivalent of a Hooverville
I’m curious if you still have this plant and if so, how it’s doing?