Epiphytic Cactus fertilizers?

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Cacti genera too plentiful to enumerate. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.

Moderator: mcvansoest

jnewmark
Ready to Bolt

Epiphytic Cactus fertilizers?

Post by jnewmark »

I have a small Epi collection that has started to bloom less and less. I have tried repotting, taking cuttings, etc. I have been using a 10-15-10, liquid fertilizer, and now am wondering if I should go to something stronger. What's your best fertilizer for Epi's and how often do you use it? For those of you who live in zones that get Winter weather and need to bring them inside, do you still fertilize in those months ? Any comments welcome.
Epiphyte
Offset

Re: Epiphytic Cactus fertilizers?

Post by Epiphyte »

a long time ago i did an experiment with 4? hanging pots. each pot included a hoya, a christmas cactus (or easter?) and something else. in each pot i put a different amount of slow release fertilizer (osmocote). i don't remember the exact amounts but i do remember that the largest amount fried the hoya but turbo-charged the cactus. since then i've been under the impression that epiphytic cactus appreciate a bit more fertilizer than hoyas, and perhaps most other epiphytes. however i haven't regularly acted on this impression. the other day, after a year or two, i finally felt guilty enough to give some slow release granules to a small seedling from aporophyllum bling bling. i'm sure it will make a difference.

all plants have a fertilizer threshold. i have no idea where this threshold is for epiphytic cactus. don't find out the hard way with your most precious plants!