Senecio serpens

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to xeric plants, which do not fit under any of our established categories, or to discuss issues of a general nature that bear relevance across multiple categories.
RCDS66
Offset
USDA Zone: 9B

Senecio serpens

Post by RCDS66 »

Couldn't find a thread / section covering Senecio serpens, actually any Senecio in particular which is a wonderful group of plants. The only post regarding Senecios is this viewtopic.php?p=47679&hilit=Senecio+serpens#p47679

As advised, opening a thread on Senecio serpens. I am not sure it should be called Senecio serpens or Curio repens! Experts may advise please.
Whatever it is, it's a beautiful plants that has performed very well in my garden. Performs extremely well when planted in full sun withing rock crevices, preferably on a slope.
Attachments
In the early morning sun
In the early morning sun
2023-12SenecioserpensA6696.JPG (303.65 KiB) Viewed 1307 times
2024-01Senecioserpens8338.JPG
2024-01Senecioserpens8338.JPG (382.06 KiB) Viewed 1307 times
RCDS66
Offset
USDA Zone: 9B

Re: Senecio serpens

Post by RCDS66 »

RCDS66 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:52 am I am not sure it should be called Senecio serpens or Curio repens! Experts may advise please.
Experts, any input on the above.
Andrew in Germany
Seedling

Post by Andrew in Germany »

That is a beauty. It has skipped past my radar, don’t know why because I could find places for it all over my garden. Unless of course its requirements are no where near obtainable in my part of the world. So I looked it up. It is a winter grower…oops. It likes sun and very dry conditions but can take a bit of frost…
My winters are sunless, very wet and at some point for a week or two, solidly frozen. So I’m not sure it’ll survive here with or without some protection. But most of the plants in my garden are on the border of survival anyway. The big difference is that it wants to grow in the winter and shut down in the summer. Going dormant not because of the cold but because of the heat. Does that sound right to you? Can you tell me more about your conditions? Would love to know more :))
Andrew
Paul S
Ready to Bolt

Post by Paul S »

I've tried it here, Andrew, and it has never made it through a winter.
mickthecactus

Post by mickthecactus »

In the greenhouse I have saginata and stapelliformis. They more or less grow all year round, perhaps a bit more autumn and spring. Just noticed a new shoot on stapelliformis yesterday for example.
Axel
Offset

Post by Axel »

I have senecio mount everest or skycraper in my garden, a form of ficoides. It’s a really fast grower,
picture of today in the rain
Attachments
IMG_5647.jpeg
IMG_5647.jpeg (1013.22 KiB) Viewed 741 times
Andrew in Germany
Seedling

Axel wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:40 am I have senecio mount everest or skycraper in my garden, a form of ficoides. It’s a really fast grower,
picture of today in the rain
Interesting Axel. Do you have it potted or planted out permanently? But I have to say I think Mount Everest looks a little bit too scrappy for me.

Paul S wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:31 am I've tried it here, Andrew, and it has never made it through a winter.
Did you protect it at all?
Paul S
Ready to Bolt

Post by Paul S »

No. Didn't seem worth it at the time.
Axel
Offset

Post by Axel »

It’s planted and a bit unruly. I like the fact it adds a really fresh blue colour.
Andrew in Germany
Seedling

Axel wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:56 am It’s planted and a bit unruly. I like the fact it adds a really fresh blue colour.
That’s true, I can see the blue appeal!