Agave Mite Application Questions

Use this section to discuss matters relating to any and all issues involving horticultural pest and disease management. This is where one posts unknown pest/damage photos for ID help.
Fairview
Offset
USDA Zone: 8

Agave Mite Application Questions

Post by Fairview »

Having to learn about eriophyid mites out of necessity unfortunately. When I research translaminar pesticides most articles present it as translaminar/systemic. If I remember from my now expired pesticide license classes, systemic only moved in one direction in the plants vascular system and translaminar dispersed throughout the plant irrespective of the application site.

Other than label restrictions, why can't translaminar be applied as a soil drench in conjunction with the over top spray? Seems it would eliminate the challenges of getting the pesticide into the core where the mites reside.

Secondly in regards to surfactant use; what about using methylated seed oil? In addition to being a sticker it also has penatrative qualities. Sort of like DMSO for plants.
Mckinney, Texas. 30 Miles North of Dallas. What I'm trying to grow: A ovatifolia: whales tongue, frosty blue, vanzie, sharkskin, parrasana, montana, parryi JC Raulston, Bellville, Bluebell Giant, havardiana, polianthiflora, parviflora, havardiana x neomexicana
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Re: Agave Mite Application Questions

Post by Azuleja »

You have systemic and translaminar backwards. Translaminar only move a short distance from where they are applied. Systemic move throughout the plant and sometimes are applied as a drench

Editing to add, I use a spreader sticker if the label calls for it. Combining one with the wrong spray or the wrong dosage can cause burning