Is this Rust or scale or other?

Use this section to discuss matters relating to any and all issues involving horticultural pest and disease management. This is where one posts unknown pest/damage photos for ID help.
PlantLife74
Rhizome
USDA Zone: 6b

Is this Rust or scale or other?

Post by PlantLife74 »

I keep my desert cacti in the basement overwinter, and stop watering from October to April. Recently I noticed one of the cacti had orange color spots all over it. I have no idea how long its been like that, but reminds me I should check my cacti more closely over the winter! It doesn't appear on the other cacti, but I've isolated the one but havent done anything with it yet. Would like any confirmation so i know what i need to to get for treatment. Also Im still unsure what species if cacti it is. The images may be a bit grainy as I had to zoom it with my phone. The cactus is still small which I wonder if that made it susceptible. Thanks for checking!
Attachments
IMG_0257.jpg
IMG_0257.jpg (125.28 KiB) Viewed 936 times
IMG_0256.jpg
IMG_0256.jpg (144.55 KiB) Viewed 936 times
IMG_0255.jpg
IMG_0255.jpg (122.14 KiB) Viewed 936 times
PlantLife74
Rhizome
USDA Zone: 6b

Re: Is this Rust or scale or other?

Post by PlantLife74 »

Desert Plants of Avalon was able to look, and she suspects its spider mite damage. I couldn't see them with my eyes but the damage is there. She recommends isopryl alcohol spray every 2-3 days so the substrate does not continuously remain wet. later when it warms up, I could use neem oil dilute and horticultural soap but less frequently.
edds
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: A wet 8b!

Post by edds »

Mites is a reasonable guess. Just make sure you don't leave the plant or compost wet if it's still cold where you are.
The plant looks like some form of Gymnocalycium to me.
Nottingham, UK
mcvansoest
Location: Tempe, Arizona, USA ie. Low Desert & Urban Heat Island
USDA Zone: 9a/b

Post by mcvansoest »

If it is spider mites, you better start checking the plants you kept around this one. They spread pretty easily and quickly...
It is what it is!