Reference: Agave Hardiness

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Agave, Beschorneria, Furcraea, Hesperaloe, Hesperoyucca, Manfreda, Polianthes, Yucca and related species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.
jam
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 7a/b

Re: Reference: Agave Hardiness

Post by jam »

Really with the limited choice of plants that could hypothetically take temps down to 0F I can't be too picky.
Aridlands doesn't ship to the European Union supposedly because of our excessive or arbitrary regulation.
Setting up a Chihuahuan laboratory.
Paul S
Ready to Bolt

Post by Paul S »

How much space do you have Jan? Some of these are big plants.
jam
Ready to Bolt

Post by jam »

Plenty of space here, Paul :))
I still have a lawn which I'd be willing to sacrifice any minute if it was only up to me which isn't...

But you're right, I should stick to smaller species, some of which we have recently discussed over email. Mind you, ovatifolia can get quite big too. But if I had to decide and choose just one big one, it would be this one.
Paul S
Ready to Bolt

Post by Paul S »

Lawn. First thing that went here when I started landscaping :)

Yes, A. ovatifolia and montana can each get 4-5ft across easily, ditto some form forms of gentryi. Add havardiana and some parryi forms and you'll soon run out of space. And that is before you get started on yucca, dasylirion and nolina. Add in a couple of Chamaerops humilis and a Jubaea chilensis and you'll be eyeing up that lawn...
jam
Ready to Bolt

Post by jam »

I get it. My September project is to get rid of some running bamboos to end up with extra square meters for xeric plants. This is a third load of rhizomes, I estimate another 3 or 4. Sorry for going off topic.
Attachments
IMG_20220909_102018.jpg
IMG_20220909_102018.jpg (626.32 KiB) Viewed 4085 times
westfork
Offset
USDA Zone: 4b/5a

Post by westfork »

And here we have been experimenting for 23 years to find bamboo that will survive here.
Way too hot in summer for all but one or two species of the hardy clumping types.
The winter is far too arid for the running types, but all above ground growth dies to the ground each year anyway.
Phyllostachys dulcis and Taibashan II are our survivors.
Siouxland: USDA Zone 4b/5a & heat zone 6/7. Extremes at our farm: 108 F to -38 F.
Arid grassland with dry sunny winters, moderate summers, 27" annual precipitation.
Gafoto
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 7b

Post by Gafoto »

Some of my potted agave have already decided it’s too chilly to continue growing and with days in the low 60s and nights in the low 40s forecasted I’m confident a few other plants will pack it in until spring. For people who overwinter some agave in pots, can they be stored somewhere with little to no light? How often do they need to be watered in that environment (if at all?).

I have an unheated garage that looks like it stays about 5-8 degrees warmer than the ambient temp and significantly drier. I have some specimens in 1 and 5 gallon pots that are going to be downright dangerous to bring into the house. All the species I would store there should be hardy down to zone 7ish but hopefully wouldn’t be exposed to anything below 15 degrees. I had some fatalities storing plants in pots completely unprotected last winter.
westfork
Offset
USDA Zone: 4b/5a

Post by westfork »

We have had some similar questions. For most hardy plants that can be overwintered in the dark, you want the temperature to be as low as possible above 32. We have an attached garage with the house furnace in it that stays between 35 and 45 most of the winter that we have used for overwintering plants for years. Only problem is that the indoor temperature starts to rise in April which encourages spring growth before the outside temperatures are ready for the plants - Late hard freeze could zap them if growing already.

We are going to put many of the smaller potted agaves in front of south facing windows this winter. Temperatures by the windows probably in the low 60s with pretty good light. But all will stay outside a couple more months to keep the indoor season as short as possible. Squirrels planting acorns in the pots now. Hoping it is true that moderately hardy potted agave and yucca can tolerate brief drops to 27 and the most hardy can briefly go to 20 degrees while potted.
Siouxland: USDA Zone 4b/5a & heat zone 6/7. Extremes at our farm: 108 F to -38 F.
Arid grassland with dry sunny winters, moderate summers, 27" annual precipitation.
Gafoto
Ready to Bolt

Post by Gafoto »

westfork wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:45 am We have had some similar questions. For most hardy plants that can be overwintered in the dark, you want the temperature to be as low as possible above 32. We have an attached garage with the house furnace in it that stays between 35 and 45 most of the winter that we have used for overwintering plants for years. Only problem is that the indoor temperature starts to rise in April which encourages spring growth before the outside temperatures are ready for the plants - Late hard freeze could zap them if growing already.

We are going to put many of the smaller potted agaves in front of south facing windows this winter. Temperatures by the windows probably in the low 60s with pretty good light. But all will stay outside a couple more months to keep the indoor season as short as possible. Squirrels planting acorns in the pots now. Hoping it is true that moderately hardy potted agave and yucca can tolerate brief drops to 27 and the most hardy can briefly go to 20 degrees while potted.
My parrasana and parryi both lived outside completely unprotected all winter in 5 gallon plastic pots except for when it dropped into the single digits. They handled low teens for dozens of nights consecutively and got snowed on a few times. They both had some damaged tips but easily grew out of it this summer and look better than ever. The parrasana was even crowded with pups that all lived. Not recommending it but I’m quite sure hardy agave (especially when dry) will handle mid-20s.

I don’t think I can keep my garage above freezing, it’s an ancient wood structure with some gaps. Basically and unheated greenhouse with very minimal light. I would assume the plants don’t photosynthesize once the temperature gets cold enough?
jam
Ready to Bolt

Post by jam »

Gafoto wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:14 pm For people who overwinter some agave in pots, can they be stored somewhere with little to no light? How often do they need to be watered in that environment (if at all?).
That is a good question. People here overwinter their cacti in green houses which are either unheated or
tempered a few degrees about 0C/32F. Those without a green house bring them to their basement or cellar with usually a very stable low temperature with none or limited light. Plants go dormant, avoid elongation and next season flower much better than those kept somewhere warm even with sufficient light. For some reason this doesn't work with succulents like Agaves or Yucca. Low temperatures are fine and preferred, lowered watering regime is OK but they still need light. I guess they are not able to turn off completely like Cacti do despite all Agavaceae families using the same CAM photosynthesis as Cactaceae members do. If anyone know the scientific explanation, please enlighten me.
jnewmark
Ready to Bolt

Post by jnewmark »

I seem to recall reading somewhere that growers in Germany, uproot their Agaves, and store them in dark cellars during Winter. There might be a few growers here that do that also, at least the uprooting part. I have never had any luck keeping Agaves in pots in Winter conditions, hardy or not, in Zone 6A, with limited success with ones in the ground.
Gafoto
Ready to Bolt

Post by Gafoto »

Well, one down already. I planted a hybrid of ovatifolia x verschaffeltii this fall. It was always a bit of an ugly duckling so I figured I’d see how those ovatifolia genetics held up. Apparently it didn’t get many because even with a couple frosts it got absolutely nuked. The three atmospheric rivers hitting Salt Lake City in one week certainly aren’t helping the cause.
jnewmark
Ready to Bolt

Post by jnewmark »

Gafoto wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:20 pm Well, one down already. I planted a hybrid of ovatifolia x verschaffeltii this fall. It was always a bit of an ugly duckling so I figured I’d see how those ovatifolia genetics held up. Apparently it didn’t get many because even with a couple frosts it got absolutely nuked. The three atmospheric rivers hitting Salt Lake City in one week certainly aren’t helping the cause.
I can't comment on conditions in Salt Lake City, but I do live very close to Lake Erie. The Fall is the last time I would ever try to plant an Agave where I live; not enough time for the plant to get acclimated before cold, wet conditions arrive. I try for early Spring, as far as Agaves go.
Gafoto
Ready to Bolt

Post by Gafoto »

jnewmark wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:55 am
Gafoto wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:20 pm Well, one down already. I planted a hybrid of ovatifolia x verschaffeltii this fall. It was always a bit of an ugly duckling so I figured I’d see how those ovatifolia genetics held up. Apparently it didn’t get many because even with a couple frosts it got absolutely nuked. The three atmospheric rivers hitting Salt Lake City in one week certainly aren’t helping the cause.
I can't comment on conditions in Salt Lake City, but I do live very close to Lake Erie. The Fall is the last time I would ever try to plant an Agave where I live; not enough time for the plant to get acclimated before cold, wet conditions arrive. I try for early Spring, as far as Agaves go.
Certainly not ideal but it was living outside all summer and it got planted back in September before things cooled off and got wet so I figured it might have time to adjust. I only have so much space inside and somebody had to draw the short straw.

The next plant I assume might not make it is the agave filifera I planted in the spring. It was happy as a clam this summer but I have my doubts about it surviving here. It was a five dollar plant from Lowes so worth the experiment.
lyn98
Rhizome
USDA Zone: 8b

Post by lyn98 »

Thank you so much Gee. You have a lot of invaluable information here on this forum. I feel like I finished a mini Agave 101 course here just by reading some of your posts. :D
Gafoto
Ready to Bolt

Post by Gafoto »

Agave stricta ‘nana’ or what is left of it. Several nights in the teens and a couple inches of snow took care of it. The first victim of the year.
IMG_4202.jpeg
IMG_4202.jpeg (314.27 KiB) Viewed 1279 times
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8B

Post by Meangreen94z »

Gafoto wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:13 pm Agave stricta ‘nana’ or what is left of it. Several nights in the teens and a couple inches of snow took care of it. The first victim of the year.
IMG_4202.jpeg
Yeah, stricta is not hardy, and the forms of striata vary. I tried Agave striata ssp. falcata and had no success. The Agave striata sold as ‘Live wires’ by PDN is still kicking after 4-5 years. I plan on buying more from them this year.
Austin, Texas
Gafoto
Ready to Bolt

Post by Gafoto »

Meangreen94z wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:12 am
Gafoto wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:13 pm Agave stricta ‘nana’ or what is left of it. Several nights in the teens and a couple inches of snow took care of it. The first victim of the year.
IMG_4202.jpeg
Yeah, stricta is not hardy, and the forms of striata vary. I tried Agave striata ssp. falcata and had no success. The Agave striata sold as ‘Live wires’ by PDN is still kicking after 4-5 years. I plan on buying more from them this year.
The “regular” striata and the striata ssp, falcata from @agavegreg are both alive after seeing quite a bit of snow and 11 degrees. Some damage but still kicking for now. I may have to try that PDN plant. Surprised at the hardiness of those striata.
Gafoto
Ready to Bolt

Post by Gafoto »

Agave asperrima from Arid Lands has handled being buried in heavy snow and 11 degrees so far. Some damage to lower leaves but less than I expected.
IMG_4255.jpeg
IMG_4255.jpeg (803.93 KiB) Viewed 1060 times
lonejoint

Post by lonejoint »

I cultivate several Agave varieties, with A. Victoriae-reginae being a notable success in my garden for the past 5 years. It has bravely weathered winter lows of 11°F on two occasions a few years back, and even endured a chilly 16°F last winter without sustaining any damage. Another resilient member of my collection is A. schidigera 'Durango Delight,' which has also demonstrated remarkable cold tolerance, standing strong against similar low temperatures. In July, both of these hardy plants seamlessly transitioned to my new garden space, adapting effortlessly and maintaining their vigorous appearance. Despite the winter's chill reaching a low of 23°F so far, these Agaves continue to thrive. To counteract our region's high rainfall and humidity, I prioritize impeccable drainage to ensure their well-being.
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8B

Post by Meangreen94z »

Anyone test rhodacantha? I’m guessing probably 20’s?
Austin, Texas