Any ideas?

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Agave, Beschorneria, Furcraea, Hesperaloe, Hesperoyucca, Manfreda, Polianthes, Yucca and related species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.
meridannight
Offset

Any ideas?

Post by meridannight »

As to what these could be?

They grew from what were sold to me as Agave parrasana seeds, which they very obviously are not. This was an eBay seller based in Napoli, Italy, and all of their seeds were mislabeled. He is still listing Agave seeds last time I checked (a few months ago), so beware of buying from a guy in Napoli, Italy.
Attachments
IMG_0449b.jpg
IMG_0449b.jpg (656.13 KiB) Viewed 750 times
IMG_0450b.jpg
IMG_0450b.jpg (770.02 KiB) Viewed 750 times
IMG_0438b.jpg
IMG_0438b.jpg (677.75 KiB) Viewed 750 times
IMG_0436b.jpg
IMG_0436b.jpg (645.98 KiB) Viewed 750 times
Species I'm growing from seed: Agave nizandensis, Agave difformis, Agave parryi, Agave schidigera, Aloe alooides, Aloe manandonae, Aloe dhufarensis, Aloe barbara-jeppeae, Hyophorbe verschaffeltii, Kerriodoxa elegans, Johannesteijsmannia altifrons, Chrysalidocarpus leptocheilos, Licuala grandis.
Gafoto
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 7b

Re: Any ideas?

Post by Gafoto »

Looks like a Yucca to me.
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Gee.S »

^ Kinda does, though a couple of those leaves look sorta toothy.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
Fairview
Offset
USDA Zone: 8

Post by Fairview »

My 2 cents. Looks like a younger version of my Y baccata.
Mckinney, Texas. 30 Miles North of Dallas. What I'm trying to grow: A ovatifolia: whales tongue, frosty blue, vanzie, sharkskin, parrasana, montana, parryi JC Raulston, Bellville, Bluebell Giant, havardiana, polianthiflora, parviflora, havardiana x neomexicana
Gafoto
Ready to Bolt

Post by Gafoto »

Yucca parrasana :lol:

These Neopolitan sellers are really something else.
meridannight
Offset

Post by meridannight »

Interesting. I hadn't thought of Yucca. The plants are slower-growing than any of the Agaves I've ever grown from seed. Those are about 3-year-old plants on the images.

I guess I have to wait till it's significantly larger to get any clearer idea as to what it is.
Species I'm growing from seed: Agave nizandensis, Agave difformis, Agave parryi, Agave schidigera, Aloe alooides, Aloe manandonae, Aloe dhufarensis, Aloe barbara-jeppeae, Hyophorbe verschaffeltii, Kerriodoxa elegans, Johannesteijsmannia altifrons, Chrysalidocarpus leptocheilos, Licuala grandis.
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

meridannight wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:10 pm Interesting. I hadn't thought of Yucca. The plants are slower-growing than any of the Agaves I've ever grown from seed. Those are about 3-year-old plants on the images.

I guess I have to wait till it's significantly larger to get any clearer idea as to what it is.
Are there marginal spines on some of the leaves or no? Yuccas don't have marginal spines.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

meridannight
Offset

Post by meridannight »

Gee.S wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:24 pm Are there marginal spines on some of the leaves or no? Yuccas don't have marginal spines.
I had to go and check. So, there are marginal spines on all leaves (very tiny and white), but the spines are only on 2/3 basal end of the leaves, not on the 1/3 of the terminal end. The terminal end of the leaves has sort of like A. schidigera's smooth white margin to it.
meridannight
Offset

Post by meridannight »

Hm...could it be Agave parviflora ssp flexiflora perhaps?
Paul S
Ready to Bolt

Post by Paul S »

I'd say one of that group but I find it hard to tell them apart.
meridannight
Offset

Post by meridannight »

I know it's not schidigera or polianthiflora. I plant both of those from seed every 2-3 years.
nsp88
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8a

Post by nsp88 »

meridannight wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:44 pm I know it's not schidigera or polianthiflora. I plant both of those from seed every 2-3 years.
I can't recall if I have asked this or not, but where do you get your polianthiflora seeds?
meridannight
Offset

Post by meridannight »

nsp88 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:06 pm I can't recall if I have asked this or not, but where do you get your polianthiflora seeds?
First time I bought them from one guy in Sicily, but now I'm getting them from RPS. RPS currently has them in stock too. I can say that I have a pretty good history with RPS as far as their Agave and Aloe seeds go. All of the species I've bought have been correctly labeled.
nsp88
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8a

Post by nsp88 »

meridannight wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:16 pm
nsp88 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:06 pm I can't recall if I have asked this or not, but where do you get your polianthiflora seeds?
First time I bought them from one guy in Sicily, but now I'm getting them from RPS. RPS currently has them in stock too. I can say that I have a pretty good history with RPS as far as their Agave and Aloe seeds go. All of the species I've bought have been correctly labeled.
Awesome, thanks!
agavegreg
Ready to Bolt

Post by agavegreg »

I'd say low-light grown Agave parviflora, polianthiflora, or the like. Looks to have the white markings on a leaf or two and the white marginal fibers.
meridannight
Offset

Post by meridannight »

They spend 8 months a year outside. I do keep my younger Agaves in a shadier spot, though. I guess it's time to move these to a more sunny area.
Gafoto
Ready to Bolt

Post by Gafoto »

meridannight wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:53 pm They spend 8 months a year outside. I do keep my younger Agaves in a shadier spot, though. I guess it's time to move these to a more sunny area.
Even my seedlings get full morning sun. The smaller they are the more shade they get in the midday to afternoon.
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

I'm not as brave as you guys, I start everything indoors. Tho in my defense, I don't believe agave seedlings would survive outdoors here much longer than an hour or so May - Oct. Then I transition them outside, always a dicey proposition.
Agave

Gafoto
Ready to Bolt

Post by Gafoto »

Gee.S wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:12 am I'm not as brave as you guys, I start everything indoors. Tho in my defense, I don't believe agave seedlings would survive outdoors here much longer than an hour or so May - Oct. Then I transition them outside, always a dicey proposition.
I also start everything inside. Seedlings all get at least a few months of growth before they get slowly adjusted to the more intense light and heat. I still have most seedlings inside because nights here are still firmly in the 30s and they’d all just stop growing if I moved them out.

Do you transition plants outside in the fall/winter or anytime you think they’re ready?
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Gafoto wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:50 pm
Gee.S wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:12 am I'm not as brave as you guys, I start everything indoors. Tho in my defense, I don't believe agave seedlings would survive outdoors here much longer than an hour or so May - Oct. Then I transition them outside, always a dicey proposition.
I also start everything inside. Seedlings all get at least a few months of growth before they get slowly adjusted to the more intense light and heat. I still have most seedlings inside because nights here are still firmly in the 30s and they’d all just stop growing if I moved them out.

Do you transition plants outside in the fall/winter or anytime you think they’re ready?
Late winter/early spring, after winter frost threat has passed. Then I watch 'em like a hawk. Probably makes 'em self-conscious, oh well...
Agave

meridannight
Offset

Post by meridannight »

I start them indoors too, where they spend the first 2 years of their life. Then I introduce them to the real world.