Suggestions for Xeric Wildflowers for North Texas

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to xeric plants, which do not fit under any of our established categories, or to discuss issues of a general nature that bear relevance across multiple categories.
Fairview
Offset
USDA Zone: 8

Suggestions for Xeric Wildflowers for North Texas

Post by Fairview »

I've got my big anchor agave, yuccas, etc in the ground. Now I'm looking to fill in with some color. I figure the more space occupied by desirable plants the less space will be available for the weeds. Supposedly in zone 8 but can get single digits temps in the winter.

Thanks
Mckinney, Texas. 30 Miles North of Dallas. What I'm trying to grow: A ovatifolia: whales tongue, frosty blue, vanzie, sharkskin, parrasana, montana, parryi JC Raulston, Bellville, Bluebell Giant, havardiana, polianthiflora, parviflora, havardiana x neomexicana
nsp88
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8a

Re: Suggestions for Xeric Wildflowers for North Texas

Post by nsp88 »

If you aren't opposed to annuals (that potentially can reseed themselves every year), California poppies are pretty awesome.
nsp88
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8a

Post by nsp88 »

Hylotelephium spectabile (formerly Sedum spectabile) does good here and puts out lots of blooms. They die and come back every year from roots. Leave dead stalks all winter, but are easy to break off if you don't like them.
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8B

Post by Meangreen94z »

If you are wanting seasonal flowers that will grow back annually you can order from the Wildseed Farm outside Fredericksburg.
https://www.wildseedfarms.com/

As far as multi season blooms there are a number of Salvia and Penstemon that do well. Texas rock rose. They aren’t wildflowers but Spanish Lavender does well and there’s different cultivars of rosemary that look good in dry gardens .

As mentioned some Sedum regularly flower, take extreme heat, and a number are extremely hardy

As far as flowering shrubs/trees you have Texas sage- aka Leucophyllum frutescens, Texas Mountain Laurel - Sophora secundiflora
Austin, Texas