NOID Echeveria

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Aeonium, Crassula, Dudleya, Echeveria, Kalanchoe, Rhodiola, Sedum, Sempervium and related species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.

Moderator: Aeonium2003

meridannight
Offset

NOID Echeveria

Post by meridannight »

I'm not that experienced with Echeverias and the couple I've tried to grow I've always managed to overwater even when being careful, but I noticed this one at the local garden center this week and immediately liked it.

Tag said it's Echeveria lilacina, but I assume that's wrong. These don't look like E. lilacina leaves at all to me. I take it it's some sort of a hybrid? Couldn't dig out any Echeverias that look like it on the internet (I looked through all of them in the gallery here as well).
Attachments
IMG_0691.jpeg
IMG_0691.jpeg (467.55 KiB) Viewed 414 times
IMG_0694.jpeg
IMG_0694.jpeg (427.74 KiB) Viewed 414 times
IMG_0692.jpeg
IMG_0692.jpeg (417.12 KiB) Viewed 414 times
Species I'm growing from seed: Agave nizandensis, Agave difformis, Agave parryi, Agave schidigera, Aloe alooides, Aloe manandonae, Aloe dhufarensis, Aloe barbara-jeppeae, Hyophorbe verschaffeltii, Kerriodoxa elegans, Johannesteijsmannia altifrons, Chrysalidocarpus leptocheilos, Licuala grandis.
JoyinAlb
Bulbil
USDA Zone: 7b

Re: NOID Echeveria

Post by JoyinAlb »

Lilacinas are more grey. This looks to me like a hybrid of Echeveria Runyonii “topsy turvy”. Maybe the hybrid goal was one called called trumpet pinky or lilac spoons. I don’t know. It doesn’t usually have that double tip that yours does, but it is the right colour.
As for water, try bending one of the leafs near the center. If it is rigid, don’t water it. The leafs become softer to the touch or more bendable as they need water. They will wrinkle if they are under watered, and in that case, soak it until they are rigid again. Sometimes hours. Give it open shade to full sun so it can use the water that you give it.
edds
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: A wet 8b!

Post by edds »

Definitely a hybrid and unfortunately you won't be able to ever be sure exactly which one it is as there are so many similar and unnamed seedlings in circulation. 'Topsy Turvy' may be part of the mix but its leaves reflex the other way with the centre higher than the edges, hence the name!
Nottingham, UK
meridannight
Offset

Post by meridannight »

JoyinAlb wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:31 pm As for water, try bending one of the leafs near the center. If it is rigid, don’t water it. The leafs become softer to the touch or more bendable as they need water. They will wrinkle if they are under watered, and in that case, soak it until they are rigid again. Sometimes hours. Give it open shade to full sun so it can use the water that you give it.
Thanks for the tips. I will try that.
Species I'm growing from seed: Agave nizandensis, Agave difformis, Agave parryi, Agave schidigera, Aloe alooides, Aloe manandonae, Aloe dhufarensis, Aloe barbara-jeppeae, Hyophorbe verschaffeltii, Kerriodoxa elegans, Johannesteijsmannia altifrons, Chrysalidocarpus leptocheilos, Licuala grandis.
meridannight
Offset

Post by meridannight »

edds wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:53 pm Definitely a hybrid and unfortunately you won't be able to ever be sure exactly which one it is as there are so many similar and unnamed seedlings in circulation. 'Topsy Turvy' may be part of the mix but its leaves reflex the other way with the centre higher than the edges, hence the name!
That's fine. I kind of figured it was some lesser-known or not-known-at-all hybrid. It's fine if I don't get the name, I still like the plant. It stuck out among all the other Echeverias there.
meridannight
Offset

Post by meridannight »

If anybody's interested I found the name of this hybrid -- it's Echeveria 'Thriller Pearl'. Some type of new hybrid from the Netherlands.

Here's a comment from the creators of this hybrid (OVATA):
‘Thriller’ is one of Michael Jackson’s most famous songs. The song became popular mainly because of the scary music video accompanying it. Echeveria 'Thriller Pearl' has a ghostly white colour, with small bulges in a variety of shapes and sizes on the underside of the leaves. These uncanny protrusions are reminiscent of the world-famous dance from the music video.
I don't know about that, but that's how they're describing the plant. It would seem E. lilacina is one of the parents, because it's also listed under this plant as the 'species name', but no idea whether it was a pod parent or pollen parent.

For some reason there were 2 labels on the container, and I didn't notice one underneath the other. The one on top said 'Echeveria lilacina' and under that was Echeveria 'Thriller Pearl'. I looked it up and it seems to be correct.

You guys think I should list it under the Echeveria gallery here?

Posting the link source from hybridizer:
https://www.ovata.nl/en/supure-assortme ... ler-pearl/