Dow Snapshot 2.5TG weed preventer

Discuss any and all issues that don't fit neatly into one of our other forum sections.
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8B

Dow Snapshot 2.5TG weed preventer

Post by Meangreen94z »

Anyone have experience using this? I have read reviews claiming it’s more effective than Preen Extended Control at preventing new weeds. I bought a 50lb bag and spread it across my backyard with a broadcaster. I am attempting to use just a fast draining mix of soil with no rock/mulch top cover/weed barrier. I’ve found it’s ineffective and traps moisture.
IMG_0086.jpeg
IMG_0086.jpeg (164.49 KiB) Viewed 394 times
Austin, Texas
Fairview
Offset
USDA Zone: 8

Re: Dow Snapshot 2.5TG weed preventer

Post by Fairview »

I was in the lawn maintenance business for 20+ years. The most effective preemergent I had the best results with was the old school liquid pendemethlin preemergent. The disadvantage was that it would stain concrete for an extended period of time.

Most all weed seeds are extremely tiny and require exposure to sunlight for germination. Preemergents are classified as either root cutters or inhibitors. For preemergents to be effective they need to form a barrier in the top 1/2" of the soil after irrigation/precipitation. A sharp fast draining soil may decrease the effectiveness of any preemergent.

I no longer have my spray rig but I use a hose end sprayer and get good results.
Attachments
Screenshot_20240405_071947_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240405_071947_Chrome.jpg (92.25 KiB) Viewed 368 times
Mckinney, Texas. 30 Miles North of Dallas. What I'm trying to grow: A ovatifolia: whales tongue, frosty blue, vanzie, sharkskin, parrasana, montana, parryi JC Raulston, Bellville, Bluebell Giant, havardiana, polianthiflora, parviflora, havardiana x neomexicana