Hello from Joshua Tree

Welcome to Agaveville! Please stop in and tell us a little bit about yourself and your gardening interests.
temil1970
Rhizome
USDA Zone: 9A

Hello from Joshua Tree

Post by temil1970 »

Hello From Joshua Tree. I am looking to grow agave for spirits / distillates. I have 300 acres in JT and can reserve 150 acres to the endeavor. It's an experiment, as we only get 3-5 inches of rainfall a year, and although the land is zoned for crop cultivation there is no ag water, and wells aren't an option. Though we do have residential water from pipes on all 4 sides of the parcel (unusual in these parts). So it's finding the right varietals / cultivars that will mature in 8 years or less and then understanding growing methods for the desert, and then allowing the hot sun and occasional rain to do its magic, without the wind and pests decimating the crop somewhere in between. Reading Chasing Centuries by Ron Parker and there is a video too of Parker talking about his research that I found very helpful, see link below. The Hohokam and other native American desert tribes, faced similar obstacles, but were able to overcome them. Seems Agave was always worth the patience, and dedication. Any advice always welcome :)

Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Re: Hello from Joshua Tree

Post by Gee.S »

The only agaves with which I am familiar that have even a remote chance of surviving such harsh conditions are A. deserti, which grows naturally in Baja and Anza Borrego, and A. murpheyi, the Hohokam Agave. You might enhance survival chances by the liberal application of rock mulch. But under the best circumstance, these won't bloom in less than fifteen years, probably more like twenty in such a harsh area. More agua (10"-12" per anum) might speed things up to best case 10-12 years. In my humble opinion.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
temil1970
Rhizome

Post by temil1970 »

Thank you for the advice. I am curious if one of the varieties of Americana would hold up well, if it had more water, from a hardiness standpoint. The native American tribes used rock mulch extensively, so I will be testing this aspect. Yes... more water, as you say 10-12" per annum, is likely needed to get the maturation period I need to make it viable. :D
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Gee.S »

A. americana is not what you want. Very large agave takes a long, long time to mature. Bloom time in the neighborhood of 40 years plus.

If you can keep 'em alive, A. murpheyi may be your best option, most especially since it's a reliable bulbil producer. I find 'em here untended in areas under 2000' elevation w/10" rain or less. That's as tough as it gets in AZ. But then deserti survives at even lower elevation, sometimes much lower.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
temil1970
Rhizome

Post by temil1970 »

Very helpful thank you. Yes the Hohokam agave is likely is the best bet.

A. Murpheyi - https://apps.cals.arizona.edu/arboretum ... aspx?id=39
A. Deserti - https://apps.cals.arizona.edu/arboretum ... spx?id=770
mcvansoest
Location: Tempe, Arizona, USA ie. Low Desert & Urban Heat Island
USDA Zone: 9a/b

Post by mcvansoest »

Would desmettiana not be a good candidate? It was a seriously tough middle of the phoenix heat island full sun champ for me. Flowers really fast too. Not sure it is any good for spirit production, but I'd think it might stand a chance.
It is what it is!
temil1970
Rhizome

Post by temil1970 »

I will certainly research this varietal. If it grows well in Phoenix then it has a fighting chance in JT. Thank you for the suggestion.
jam
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 7a/b

Post by jam »

Thanks for sharing the video. This is the first time I've seen it. Full of interesting info. I like the statement "the field is the classroom here". So true. I envy you folks have a chance to get out there every weekend and explore.

BTW, I had no idea phillipsiana was cold hardy down to 5F. Nevertheless this species' offset is probably impossible to be obtained.
Setting up a Chihuahuan laboratory.
Samhain
Offset

Post by Samhain »

I’m not too far away. Murpheyi is doing pretty well for me, localized Americanas and Parryi do the best. bothe, Franzoni, lophantha also going strong. Salmianas get a lot of frost damage but seem to recover, one of my least favorite distillates. List seems pretty short for agaves that handle the hot summer and also the winters daily swings.

Rabbits, squirrels, gophers annihilate them all.
15F-110F. 14” annual rainfall. 8b. 3000’
temil1970
Rhizome

Post by temil1970 »

Samhain,

I have been watching permaculture videos from the MBCA (www.youtube.com/@morongobasinconservation/videos), and the rabbits, squirrels and gophers are serious beasts in the desert. It's so hard to defend against them. Perhaps chickenwire.

Have you made any spirits out of Americana and Parryi? Curious.

There are quite a few other agave that handle the swings, but the bloom time is 15+ years. I suppose I could test blooming assumptions, but ideally working with agaves where bloom time is clearly 10 years and under would be a better strategy for agave cultivation.

Samhain wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:39 am I’m not too far away. Murpheyi is doing pretty well for me, localized Americanas and Parryi do the best. bothe, Franzoni, lophantha also going strong. Salmianas get a lot of frost damage but seem to recover, one of my least favorite distillates. List seems pretty short for agaves that handle the hot summer and also the winters daily swings.

Rabbits, squirrels, gophers annihilate them all.