Agave obscura

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Agave, Beschorneria, Furcraea, Hesperaloe, Hesperoyucca, Manfreda, Polianthes, Yucca and related species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.
MikeyDude
Ready to Bolt

Agave obscura

Post by MikeyDude »

This agave obscura has been growing very well in a 2 gallon pot for a number of years. This one came from YuccaDo and grown from seedlings there. In researching this species I find it is quite variable, some having practically no marginal teeth. It seems to enjoy pot culture and can easily be cultivated in a greenhouse in a container and stay on the smallish size.
I wonder who else might be growing this one and what their clones might look like?

IMG_20230217_112243560_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230217_112243560_HDR.jpg (364.06 KiB) Viewed 1574 times
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Re: Agave obscura

Post by Gee.S »

Nice plant, but not A. obscura. That taxon has a rather complex history I encourage you to research.

From agavaceae.com: In Genty this taxon appears as Agave polyacantha var. xalapensis
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
mcvansoest
Location: Tempe, Arizona, USA ie. Low Desert & Urban Heat Island
USDA Zone: 9a/b

Post by mcvansoest »

My 'Emerald Envy' came labeled as Agave obscura...
8B5AD705-1796-4024-AB58-FB79C520A2CD.JPG
8B5AD705-1796-4024-AB58-FB79C520A2CD.JPG (297.32 KiB) Viewed 1547 times
Not saying it actually is, but true to its name the real Agave obscura may be pretty obscure....

Once it warms up a bit I will have many bulbils to share with interested people...
It is what it is!
Paul S
Ready to Bolt

Post by Paul S »

This is Agave obscura near the type locaility at Las Vigas, Veracruz.

DSC_0178.JPG
DSC_0178.JPG (405.04 KiB) Viewed 1527 times
DSC_0186.JPG
DSC_0186.JPG (294.14 KiB) Viewed 1527 times
MikeyDude
Ready to Bolt

Post by MikeyDude »

Wade with YuccaDo contacted me after reading my post and said that when they collected these seeds they were at the time named agave obscura, according to Gentry's book, however found out later that this name had been misapplied. After researching it further he was not able to identify the plant absolutely.
I did check another plant I have, purchased several years later, which is identical, and found the tag on it from Arid Lands nursery and it is also named obscura and it's attached.
If others here actually grow the plant, not just academic photos, please share so we can see the diversity of this species. I am certainly not saying the one I have is indeed obscura, but would like to see some plants that others might have tagged in there possession which they are currently growing.
obscura with tag.jpg
obscura with tag.jpg (332.11 KiB) Viewed 1463 times
Minime8484
Offset

Post by Minime8484 »

The plants near Perote have been named Agave horrida ssp perotensis.
NOTE : this was while it was raining - the margins thus appear darker than when dry)
Attachments
IMG_3550.JPG
IMG_3550.JPG (503.02 KiB) Viewed 1461 times
MikeyDude
Ready to Bolt

Post by MikeyDude »

Yes I believe agave obscura was then renamed horrida x perotensis, from that locale.
Paul S
Ready to Bolt

Post by Paul S »

MikeyDude wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:30 pm Wade with YuccaDo contacted me after reading my post and said that when they collected these seeds they were at the time named agave obscura, according to Gentry's book, however found out later that this name had been misapplied. After researching it further he was not able to identify the plant absolutely.
I did check another plant I have, purchased several years later, which is identical, and found the tag on it from Arid Lands nursery and it is also named obscura and it's attached.
If others here actually grow the plant, not just academic photos, please share so we can see the diversity of this species. I am certainly not saying the one I have is indeed obscura, but would like to see some plants that others might have tagged in there possession which they are currently growing.

obscura with tag.jpg
Well, my 'academic photos' were taken by me when visiting the type location for Agave obscura. Its always been my belief that if you want to know what a plant looks like, visit the type location because they are the plants that would have been described. My pictures clearly show that Agave obscura is different to the plant you have in a pot with a label that says obscura. Ergo, the label is wrong. And that is the problem with asking for pictures of plants from people 'actually growing the plant' - they are most likely going to be as wrong as yours if they are the same source. 5 minutes Googling would show why, the name change was no secret.
agavegreg
Ready to Bolt

Post by agavegreg »

Ha ha, never trust a grower with an ID. :lol: Remember Agave marmorata 'Turtle's Teeth'? That was actually Agave sobria from Baja California, hundreds of miles away from A. marmorata which occurs in Oaxaca and Puebla.
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Gee.S »

agavegreg wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:55 pm Ha ha, never trust a grower with an ID. :lol: Remember Agave marmorata 'Turtle's Teeth'? That was actually Agave sobria from Baja California, hundreds of miles away from A. marmorata which occurs in Oaxaca and Puebla.
Well, that can't be. I thought you-know-who collected that himself. As an aside, I still have a few thousand Turtle Teeth seed. I've grown plenty of 'em, and 95% come up with lots of compound teeth.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8B

Post by Meangreen94z »

I thought I would add to this debate. PDN is offering Agave obscura again. A zone 8a rating is hardier than what Agave horrida v. perotensis can take by 10-15°F.
IMG_0142.jpeg
IMG_0142.jpeg (265.59 KiB) Viewed 595 times
https://www.plantdelights.com/products/agave-obscura
Austin, Texas
Paul S
Ready to Bolt

Post by Paul S »

There is no debate, Daniel. :D The name was changed and that is the end of the discussion. People either know or don't know. Clearly whoever writes the Plant Delights website doesn't because the plant in the picture isn't Agave obscura.
jnewmark
Ready to Bolt

Post by jnewmark »

Has anyone seen one flower ? They are supposed to be a dark red color ( Obscura ).
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt

Post by Meangreen94z »

Paul S wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:27 am There is no debate, Daniel. :D The name was changed and that is the end of the discussion. People either know or don't know. Clearly whoever writes the Plant Delights website doesn't because the plant in the picture isn't Agave obscura.
Oddly they have sold it in the past as Agave horrida var. perotensis but from a different locality. I think they go off what the seed collector calls it. Both of my Agave horrida var. perotensis burned heavily from mid 20’s and snow in a clay pot. If their version is hardier I’ll let them call it obscura.
Austin, Texas
agavegreg
Ready to Bolt

Post by agavegreg »

Paul is correct. The plants Gentry called A. obscura, are now known as A. horrida subsp. perotensis, and the name A. obscura is now applied to the plants Gentry called A. polyacantha var. xalapensis. Those are two very different entities and the names should be used correctly so we can all communicate effectively.
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt

Post by Meangreen94z »

I contacted them and they were adamant their identification was accurate. I received the Agave and it does seem more in line with polyacantha or the current identification of obscura. Leaves are soft and fleshy. The picture on their ad was an old picture from Carl Schoenfeld at the former Yuccado Nursery.
IMG_0211.jpeg
IMG_0211.jpeg (484.63 KiB) Viewed 373 times
IMG_0212.jpeg
IMG_0212.jpeg (419.95 KiB) Viewed 373 times
IMG_0213.jpeg
IMG_0213.jpeg (438.04 KiB) Viewed 373 times
Austin, Texas