Sonoran Herpetologist

Discuss any and all issues that don't fit neatly into one of our other forum sections.
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Sonoran Herpetologist

Post by Gee.S »

Any snake lovers around? Attached is a little puff piece I wrote for Sonoran Herpetologist.

Parker_2023.pdf
Horace
(2.08 MiB) Downloaded 128 times
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
nsp88
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8a

Re: Sonoran Herpetologist

Post by nsp88 »

Unfortunately I used to be one of these kill-every-snake-i-see types. Became a little more educated and cut that out as I got older. But even now there is no way I would have the guts to be in sandals around it all the time - it would be relocation time. It is a cool experience though. You are braver than I am, that is for sure.
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

nsp88 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:54 am Unfortunately I used to be one of these kill-every-snake-i-see types. Became a little more educated and cut that out as I got older. But even now there is no way I would have the guts to be in sandals around it all the time - it would be relocation time. It is a cool experience though. You are braver than I am, that is for sure.
Oh, I'm with you there. A couple times early in the game I'm out watering at night, back and forth from the spigot. Twenty minutes and ten trips in, I see Horace inches from my feet as I'm filling the can, and realize he had been there at least most of the time. At this point I realize he isn't going to strike because he hasn't already. He was only there because he seemed interested in what I was doing.

It wasn't easy, but he won me over.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8B

Post by Meangreen94z »

Snakes seem to come and go here. I’ll occasionally find a shedded skin but no sign of the snake. There is a Texas Horned Lizard that takes up residence on my porch off and on. I’ve learned not to leave seedlings , he’ll dig into the soil if the container is large enough.
Austin, Texas
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

There used to be a lot more snakes here than there are now. When I first moved here, the area was sparsely populated with a lot of empty lots. These are now mostly filled in, with snake populations subsequently reduced and rodent populations on the rise. Sigh... All too predictable.
Agave

Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8B

Post by Meangreen94z »

Rodents are a huge problem here, chewing vehicle wiring etc. I have a neighbors cat that has taken up residence in my backyard. The container garden attracts various rodents off and on. Poison has no effect from my experience, you have to use actual traps. They love peanut butter. Usually I can hear the trap go off within 10-20 minutes of setting up.
Austin, Texas
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Unprecedented rodent pops here this past summer. Mostly harmless pocket mice, but others as well. Nature's primary rodent control agents here are snakes and owls. It was so hot/dry here this past summer that great horned owls vacated the area for higher ground. This could be a bad omen of things to come.
Agave

gave_agave
Offset

Post by gave_agave »

Very cool! We still have a lot to learn about animals. I follow a guy on instagram who is always freehandling his king cobras, and they seem totally at ease.
JoyinAlb
Bulbil
USDA Zone: 7b

Post by JoyinAlb »

I just read your rattle piece. I did see what you did there. It was brave and kind of you to mingle with a rattler. I think more of that lifestyle would be great for everyone. Live and let live (except roaches and mosquitos).
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

JoyinAlb wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:38 pm I just read your rattle piece. I did see what you did there. It was brave and kind of you to mingle with a rattler. I think more of that lifestyle would be great for everyone. Live and let live (except roaches and mosquitos).
Thank you. Glad you enjoyed my little story!
Agave

RCDS66
Offset
USDA Zone: 9B

Post by RCDS66 »

Well I wont have the guts to fill a water can at night wearing sandals with a rattler close by :o . You are a brave man. An excellent writeup...
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

RCDS66 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:56 am Well I wont have the guts to fill a water can at night wearing sandals with a rattler close by :o . You are a brave man. An excellent writeup...
Not so brave as clueless. I just didn't see him at first, and by the time I did, realized he could have struck any time he wanted. Most rattlers are terrified of humans, so I had no reason to suspect a silent rattlesnake might be anywhere near.
Agave

JoyinAlb
Bulbil
USDA Zone: 7b

Post by JoyinAlb »

@Gee.S I came across a commemorative statue for your garden.
Maybe you could repaint it and add a rattle. :D
Attachments
E8EB766F-4210-4362-8966-7790F60F2972.jpeg
E8EB766F-4210-4362-8966-7790F60F2972.jpeg (248.49 KiB) Viewed 695 times
DebAZ
Rhizome
USDA Zone: 9a-b

Post by DebAZ »

What a great story about your semi-tamed rattlesnake Harvey. I have always suspected that individual rattlesnakes can become very habituated to humans.

Random thoughts about rattlesnakes:
Thank heavens they are such passive animals.
Not all rattlesnakes will rattle before biting.
From my observations, young rattlesnakes are more reactive than older ones. Snakes are more reactive in spring than in other times of the year. As I tell my husband, in the spring they are cranky and hungry and lack judgement. Like me before coffee.
In Arizona, I have encountererd active snakes, copperheads and rattlers, when it was 45 F outside.
In both Arizona and Florida, I have encountered small rattlers coiled up under pots, and only found them after I lifted the pots. Cleared out my heartvalves!
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

For my part, I've learned to not make a big deal of seeing rattlers in my yard -- because I'd like them to return. It's one thing if they happen to notice you going about your business, but quite another when you stop and stare or take a few snaps. I like having them around, the more the merrier.
Agave

DebAZ
Rhizome
USDA Zone: 9a-b

Post by DebAZ »

Gee.S wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:33 am For my part, I've learned to not make a big deal of seeing rattlers in my yard -- because I'd like them to return. It's one thing if they happen to notice you going about your business, but quite another when you stop and stare or take a few snaps. I like having them around, the more the merrier.
I am guessing that you have not yet found them in your house or had your dog bitten in the backyard. I have experienced both. Although they are generally not aggressive, individual nonhabituated snake behavior is not predictable.

Fun trivia: 40 years ago, when the Olive Road to the White Tanks was first blacktopped, the local rattlesnakes found it a wonderful new place to stretch out and warm up. I once counted over 40 in a 2 mile stretch. It was a challenge to carefully drive around them.
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

DebAZ wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:59 am
Gee.S wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:33 am For my part, I've learned to not make a big deal of seeing rattlers in my yard -- because I'd like them to return. It's one thing if they happen to notice you going about your business, but quite another when you stop and stare or take a few snaps. I like having them around, the more the merrier.
I am guessing that you have not yet found them in your house or had your dog bitten in the backyard. I have experienced both. Although they are generally not aggressive, individual nonhabituated snake behavior is not predictable.

Fun trivia: 40 years ago, when the Olive Road to the White Tanks was first blacktopped, the local rattlesnakes found it a wonderful new place to stretch out and warm up. I once counted over 40 in a 2 mile stretch. It was a challenge to carefully drive around them.
I have. My article actually makes vague reference to a future dog-bite incident. I have been conducting archaeobotanical research across Arizona for quite some years now. The only time I've ever felt uncomfortable around Arizona wildlife resulted from a very large male black bear running full tilt in my direction before veering off at the last moment. Whew! Now that got my attention.

Wait, I take it back. Then there was the time I pulled a bunch of wood ticks off my clothes at an old Sinagua ruin I was exploring. Yuck!

But snakes? No worries. I have hundreds of rodents currently living on my property. The more snakes the better.
Agave

jam
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 7a/b

Post by jam »

When visiting the Mohave desert in early April I was alone, sometimes quite a distance from my car, let alone the nearest services. I kept telling myself more than half of bites are dry bites. Them rattlers save their precious venom for their prey.
Setting up a Chihuahuan laboratory.
anttisepp
Bulbil

Post by anttisepp »

Gee.S wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:06 am Any snake lovers around? Attached is a little puff piece I wrote for Sonoran Herpetologist. ...
Beautiful story, thank you very much for sharing! 😀👍🐍