A Caralluma Fairy Tale

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to succulent Asclepiads, including Stapelia, Huernia, Orbea, Adenium, Pachypodium and related species.

Moderator: mickthecactus

Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

A Caralluma Fairy Tale

Post by Gee.S »

Once upon a time, there was a happy, healthy Caralluma foetida living on a backyard table in Fountain Hills, AZ. Over time this plant grew an enormous branch, nearly as large as its prior self.

The snap above shows the parent plant on the right, and what was one of its branches on the left. I had planned on removing the enormous branch at some point, but it actually broke off on its own, presumably due to the strain of its own weight. As can be seen, I placed the branch in a separate pot to root, after allowing the fresh wound to callous over.

This did not go so well, as the result was a case of icky, squishy rot. Well OK then. I cut the rotted bottom off, allowed it to callous, then placed it in pure pumice, braced up by small, smooth river rocks, lest it fall over and out at the very first breeze. Despite minimal and intermittent watering in pure pumice, it rotted again, tho not quite so badly as the first attempt. Sigh....

OK, one last try. I again cut the rotted bottom off and allowed it to callous over for several days. And again, I placed it in pure pumice, just as shallowly as I was able, keeping the branch propped upright with three small river rocks. I then brought it inside and placed it under a grow light.
Caralluma foetida
Caralluma foetida
car2.jpg (138.75 KiB) Viewed 5035 times
Success! The branch is now rooting aggressively, and seems to have sidestepped a looming future with the grim Stapeliad reaper. It is doing so well, I have removed the river rocks that were once propping it up. The secret sauce that led to this positive outcome was its removal from temperature extremes out of doors. I feel very fortunate the branch is so large that it permitted three attempts, and will now live happily ever after.

The End
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
mickthecactus

Re: A Caralluma Fairy Tale

Post by mickthecactus »

Well persevered!
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Final chapter of the story, as I've now moved the rooted branch out of doors. As impressive as the cutting is, it would have been 10 cm taller had it not experienced two prior failed attempts.
Caralluma foetida
Caralluma foetida
Allhail 004.JPG (126.62 KiB) Viewed 4509 times
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

mickthecactus

Post by mickthecactus »

I think you're a closet Stapeliad grower...
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

I wish, most I've tried don't seem to appreciate our summers much. Caralluma seems about the least bothered, though it almost never blooms...
Agave

mickthecactus

Post by mickthecactus »

I have a friend who lives near Tel Aviv and grows Stapeliads. Her weather is similar to yours, wall to wall sunshine, temperatures low to mid 30's, and asked her opinion on your growing conditions.

She said " Arizona is a desert temperature . He has perfect conditions for Asclepiads. All he needs is shade. He'll do best with all the Caralluma, Tromotriche, Tridentea, Piaranthus and more, all the ones that grow in the desert. Orbea and Huernia too, just tell him to read about their origin".

Hope that helps.
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Thanks Mick, shade is indeed the issue, tho we are more like low to mid 40's thru summer.
Agave

mickthecactus

Post by mickthecactus »

I did give your temperature range and she was fine with it Ron. Says it is similar to South African summers.

It does appear that shade is the key for you. I have the opposite problem! Been pouring with rain here for 28 hours solid now.