growingontheedge.net down?

Discuss any and all issues that don't fit neatly into one of our other forum sections.
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

growingontheedge.net down?

Post by Stan »

Sometimes it happens. Only this time its the first ever that even going..or trying to go, to the website instead results in it showing as a file download. Never seen that before.
I can't even check on the usual Down right now website because of that quirk.

2 hours later Its almost back. Can't post though.
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8B

Re: growingontheedge.net down?

Post by Meangreen94z »

Stan we’re going to have to charge you an advertising fee for that
Austin, Texas
Paul S
Ready to Bolt

Post by Paul S »

Back now.

it's the internet. Sh!t happens.
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Post by Stan »

I guess David got out the WD40,some duct tape and superglue gel. A kick to the platform to get it to mosey. ALL the pc tricks....
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.
Paul S
Ready to Bolt

Post by Paul S »

The perfect tool kit. It it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use Duck tape or superglue.
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt

Post by Meangreen94z »

I checked on this board for the first time in months. It looks like the site is still up but all forum sections have been deleted? Theres no indication site maintenance is being performed? I know Stan frequented there.
Austin, Texas
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt

Post by Meangreen94z »

I found this. It looks like another plant forum bit the dust.
https://www.pushingtheborders.com/viewtopic.php?t=1208
Sadly Growing on the Edge forum will close this year!

I would firstly like to thank all the forum members who have contributed to the discussion on edgy plants for their area’s over the last 16 years.
I would also like to thank all of you that have helped with funding the forum of which we could not have continued if it had not been for you many thanks.

We started in 2007 with around 5 mods 2 have since passed away others just drifted off into differing social medias.
David and myself had kept things going for the last 10 years David looked after the monies and backed the forum up monthly through the Hostmonster site and we took turns to make sure everything worked ok while either of us were away on holiday.

I myself looked after new members who wished to join and had to delete spammers trying to infiltrate the board around 5 /day at the moment.
I also liked to generate interesting threads from our garden and our travels abroad keeping the board ticking along.

This all takes time and as the older you get you realise how precious your time is so I feel after 16 years my time is up.

I had hoped to offer the forum to any other interested parties but I am fairly sure an I.T expert and plant nerds are few and far between and we have developed a few problems now.
If there are any interested parties who wish to add this forum to there website please be in contact here or by p.m.
I was thinking more the larger websites that already run a gardening website hosting their own open gardens who will have the tech guys already in place.

I seem unable to get access to our hosting service "Hostmonster" as David's e-mail is the primary form of contact and they will not change it to my own e-mail without a court order. :roll:

Quote:
Ultimately, the only option you have would be to provide us with a valid Court Order directing Bluehost to transfer control of the account to the appropriate party. The court order should include the username for the account, a list of domains, and if applicable, associated hosted websites and email accounts.

We did have an error code pop up from time to time which David cleared through the hosting site so if that happens again is all over there and then.

I think the forum will continue for awhile into this year as David had paid for hosting the forum and name up front again Hostmonster will not even let me know how long is left sighting their privacy laws.

So if there are any members here who wish to keep in contact with other members or interesting threads you wish to keep do it soon.
The Edge Galleries have some old interesting photos in them of which I will be copying.

A difficult thread to write

Kevin
Austin, Texas
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Gee.S »

Remember the issues Agaveville had not so long ago? All the fault of HostMonster, which I eventually dropped like a hot rock.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt

Post by Meangreen94z »

I believe the David he is referring to is David Matzdorf. He frequented several Facebook groups as well, and among his plant collection had a Mexican hillside integrated into his roof. From what I read he passed away about 6 months ago .
IMG_0264.jpeg
IMG_0264.jpeg (423.33 KiB) Viewed 118 times
That forum leaned somewhat tropical but had a broad range of knowledge . I found some of the most in depth information on the internet on there regarding Nolina species, courtesy of Paul and others. Stan was a regular from what I saw. When I do a similar search on Facebook you’re lucky for 2-3 mislabeled pictures, and not much else.
Austin, Texas
Paul S
Ready to Bolt

Post by Paul S »

Random memories. I knew David Matzdorf for many years - probably longer than almost any of my other plant friends. Back in the mid 90s I ran a little nursery and he was one of my first customers - we soon became friends. The resurgence of exotic gardening in the UK and the internet were both in their infancy back then - in 1997 I started what was the first UK-centric exotic plant discussion forum, The UK Oasis. Because of his broad knowledge base (and tendancy to be a nit picky curmudgeon :) ) I asked David to be a moderator. That kept going until I pulled the plug in 2007, having had more than enough of trolls and dimwits - running the whole shebang lost its sparkle. I am sure this resonates with you, Ron. Growing On The Edge came about as a result of that, David was a co-founder with a guy called Peter Richardson although in recent years he stood back rather from the day to day running of the site.

His roof garden was ground breaking and inspirational, the first of its type. The house was magnificent - he designed that, too. In truth he was a fiercely intelligent guy who excelled at everything he turned his hand to - among many other facets to his life he sang in a moderately successful jazz band. He had an untreatable congenital heart condition that sadly caught up with him last year - post-UK Oasis I would go several years without seeing him but I visited him last summer. Stubborn old sod insisted on climbing up to the roof with me and the effort nearly killed him. He died in November. I still think of him quite a bit when looking back on the 'old days' when exotic gardening was exciting and new.