Fouquieria at the DBG plant sale

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to the xeric genus Fouquieria. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.
mcvansoest
Location: Tempe, Arizona, USA ie. Low Desert & Urban Heat Island
USDA Zone: 9a/b

Fouquieria at the DBG plant sale

Post by mcvansoest »

For those of us in the VotS, and interested in Fouquiera I was at the DBG plant sale today and they had a few different ones.

Obviously they had F. columnaris and splendens, but I also saw a nice large specimen of purpusii (which was just a tiny bit out of my price range). I only spoted the one of those. They also have ~4 (now 3) of F. formosa in 3-5 gallon sized pots that looked pretty good (hence one coming home with me) and then they also have a whole bunch of F. ochoterenae in one gallon pots. Essentially just a single short 4-6" tall stick with some leaves at the end atm.

The plant sale is on for one more weekend and you have to schedule your entrance time by getting a free ticket on the DBG website. No membership needed, but if you are you get 10% off. For those of you worried about social distancing it was very well organized and it was not busy because of the limited number of tickets available. I suspect the plant prices were yanked up a bit to account for the lower number of people actually at the sale.
It is what it is!
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8B

Re: Fouquieria at the DBG plant sale

Post by Meangreen94z »

It’s nice that pretty much every form of Fouquieria is becoming available in cultivation. I even landed Leonilae and Burragei over the winter. The only species I haven’t come across is Shrevei and Campanulata.
Austin, Texas
Kat_W
Seedling

Post by Kat_W »

Great info. Thanks!
DBG has great plants. If I were in town I would have gone to check it out. Maybe next weekend...
Thanks mcvansoest.
mcvansoest wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:00 pm For those of us in the VotS, and interested in Fouquiera I was at the DBG plant sale today and they had a few different ones.

Obviously they had F. columnaris and splendens, but I also saw a nice large specimen of purpusii (which was just a tiny bit out of my price range). I only spoted the one of those. They also have ~4 (now 3) of F. formosa in 3-5 gallon sized pots that looked pretty good (hence one coming home with me) and then they also have a whole bunch of F. ochoterenae in one gallon pots. Essentially just a single short 4-6" tall stick with some leaves at the end atm.

The plant sale is on for one more weekend and you have to schedule your entrance time by getting a free ticket on the DBG website. No membership needed, but if you are you get 10% off. For those of you worried about social distancing it was very well organized and it was not busy because of the limited number of tickets available. I suspect the plant prices were yanked up a bit to account for the lower number of people actually at the sale.
Kat_W
Seedling

Post by Kat_W »

NICE! I picked up F. leonilae recently too. You'll have to post up some snaps and let us know how it's doing. What's Campanilata? I'm not familiar?
Meangreen94z wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:26 pm It’s nice that pretty much every form of Fouquieria is becoming available in cultivation. I even landed Leonilae and Burragei over the winter. The only species I haven’t come across is Shrevei and Campanulata.
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8B

Post by Meangreen94z »

Some sources indicate it’s a subspecies of Splendens, the most notable difference being white flowers. Other sources seem to declare it as its own species.
Austin, Texas
Kat_W
Seedling

Post by Kat_W »

Thanks...
I revisited my trusty "The Genus Fouquieria".
Campanulata flowers are great! ssp breviflora flowers are super cool too.
Minime8484
Offset

Post by Minime8484 »

campanulata flowers can be either pink or white, depending on the variety
Fouquieria splendens ssp campanulata var campanulata (pink)
Fouquieria splendens ssp campanulata var albiflora (white)

ALSO - if you bought a "formosa" at the DBG sale, note that when I was there, MANY of them (not all) were mislabeled and were actually F. macdougalii.
If yours was flowering or had buds, it is macdougalii.

I was there first thing on Monday morning and mentioned to one of the workers about the ID mix up, but they were pretty busy, so not sure if they ever made the attempt to correct.
mcvansoest
Location: Tempe, Arizona, USA ie. Low Desert & Urban Heat Island
USDA Zone: 9a/b

Post by mcvansoest »

Thanks for the head's up Tristan, none of the remaining plants were flowering, nor had buds. If it ends up being macdougalii and not formosa I would not mind too much, but I talked to a buddy of mine who grows both of these and the picture he sent me suggests that what I got at the DBG looks more like his formosa than his macdougalii. I will try and take a decent picture to post, the one I took so far right after planting it, does not really show the plant that well...
I have more questions about my macdougalii from Home Depot...
It is what it is!
Kat_W
Seedling

Post by Kat_W »

Duly noted and thanks for the info.
I’m checking out the DBG plant sale on Saturday.
Should be interesting to see what’s left in the Fouq department.

mcvansoest wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:41 pm Thanks for the head's up Tristan, none of the remaining plants were flowering, nor had buds. If it ends up being macdougalii and not formosa I would not mind too much, but I talked to a buddy of mine who grows both of these and the picture he sent me suggests that what I got at the DBG looks more like his formosa than his macdougalii. I will try and take a decent picture to post, the one I took so far right after planting it, does not really show the plant that well...
I have more questions about my macdougalii from Home Depot...