Agave leaves wrinkled and oozing sap - what's going on?

Use this section to discuss matters relating to any and all issues involving horticultural pest and disease management. This is where one posts unknown pest/damage photos for ID help.
TruxCaper
Rhizome

Agave leaves wrinkled and oozing sap - what's going on?

Post by TruxCaper »

Hi! I'm having some kind of problem with a couple of my latest buys. The plants were reasonably healthy when I bought them, apart from being rootbound and some dried leaves. Now, a few days after cleaning up the roots and repotting them, the bottom leaves are getting wrinkled and sticky sap is oozing out, and the affected leaves seem to be slowly but surely rotting. A few of the leaves show only some light wrinkling on the upper side, but are more severely wrinkled and heavily oozing on the underside.
I had the same problem with other plants bought from the same nursery in the past, and the only way I managed to solve it at the time was by uprooting the plant and removing the oozing leaves at the base. This time I tried preemptively spraying all the new buys with a Propamocarb and Fosetyl-based systemic fungicide, but it had no effect and I'm not really sure the issue is fungus-related anymore. I also tried treating the lesions with a copper-laced sealant for plants (the dark blue smudges in the pictures), still no effect, it keeps spreading.
I'll probably have to cut off those leaves this time as well, but I'd really like to know what's going on so that I might find a better solution next time. Anyone can shed some light on this?
_DSC3100.jpg
_DSC3100.jpg (199.52 KiB) Viewed 5821 times
_DSC3101.jpg
_DSC3101.jpg (190.29 KiB) Viewed 5821 times
_DSC3102.jpg
_DSC3102.jpg (182.42 KiB) Viewed 5821 times
_DSC3103.jpg
_DSC3103.jpg (159.75 KiB) Viewed 5821 times
_DSC3104.jpg
_DSC3104.jpg (183.04 KiB) Viewed 5821 times
_DSC3105.jpg
_DSC3105.jpg (138.76 KiB) Viewed 5821 times
abborean
Ready to Bolt

Re: Agave leaves wrinkled and oozing sap - what's going on?

Post by abborean »

Bottom leaf trauma from transplanting or perhaps too much or too little water. A lot of things could cause this. Sorry I'm not morte help.