Blue Glow Agave struggling

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Agave, Beschorneria, Furcraea, Hesperaloe, Hesperoyucca, Manfreda, Polianthes, Yucca and related species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.
Jp_FL
Rhizome

Blue Glow Agave struggling

Post by Jp_FL »

Hi everyone!

Please help... My Blue Glow Agave is definitely struggling!

I purchased it last fall and it was a beautiful deep, blue green. It was growing in full sun at the nursery and has been in full sun since I brought her home and is in well drained soil mix. The larger lesions (marked w/purple dot) appeared shortly after purchase. I thought too much water, so I cut back and it was fine until the past few months. I'm in NE Florida so it's been dry and is now getting hot. My moisture meter shows its not getting too much water - yet I have another lesion (marked w/red dot) and each leaf has yellowing in the center. It's almost has a tiny bubble like appearance up close.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated! She was so perfect when I brought her home! 😢 Thank you!
Attachments
IMG_20210525_150022128_HDR~2.jpg
IMG_20210525_150022128_HDR~2.jpg (262.16 KiB) Viewed 7437 times
mcvansoest
Location: Tempe, Arizona, USA ie. Low Desert & Urban Heat Island
USDA Zone: 9a/b

Re: Blue Glow Agave struggling

Post by mcvansoest »

All looks like sun stress to me.

How long did the nursery have the plant? If they got it in the Fall it may not have seen any strong sun at all till now. Also if the sun angle it is sitting at is different from the way it was oriented in the nursery, this could cause specific leaves to get more severely sun burnt while the rest is OK.
The new growth looks to be fine, so my bet would be too much sun for the older foliage.
It is what it is!
Jp_FL
Rhizome

Post by Jp_FL »

Thank you so much... I'd not even thought of that possibility!

I watched today to see how long it's in the direct sun. Early day it's shaded by the overhang of our house (still receiving bright light) and only receiving direct sun from apx 12:15 pm until 4:45 pm.

Could that still be too much for it? Or do you think it's just not able to handle the strength of the full/direct sun any amount this time of the year? I'm trying to decide where I need to move it for it to receive adequate sun, but not get burnt!

Thanks again, I appreciate your help! :-)
Melt in the Sun
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Melt in the Sun »

I think you can leave it there if that's where you want it - the new growth is coming in tougher and it should be perfectly fine in the long run.
Jp_FL
Rhizome

Post by Jp_FL »

Thank you, that's even better - I don't have many places that get less sun than it's already receiving!

Is there anything I can do to help it return to it's original deeper blue/green color? Is the yellowing/fading caused from too much sun also?
Melt in the Sun
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Melt in the Sun »

Yeah the yellowing is just on the older leaves, and is due to too much sun. The bluer and dustier looking leaves in the center right now are accustomed to the current amount of sun, so as the plant grows and they become the lower leaves the color of the whole plant will be more consistent. In the long run the plant will be much nicer, but you will have a few more months of yellowed lower leaves. You're doing the right thing!
Jp_FL
Rhizome

Post by Jp_FL »

Perfect...Thank you so much! :)