Cycas sp. 'Wilailak' Flushing

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Cycadaceae, Stangeriaceae, Zamiaceae and related plants.

Moderator: Geoff

MattTX
Rhizome

Cycas sp. 'Wilailak' Flushing

Post by MattTX »

I bought this as a small seedling back in 2008 from Robert Chumley and it has always been a strong grower. I keep it in morning/mid-day sun and water it about the same as my other cycads (once a week in the hot months, rarely otherwise). It has been bulletproof in the Texas heat. These things must be absolute monsters in habitat! That's why I'm keeping it in a smaller pot.
Attachments
c1.jpg
c1.jpg (278.3 KiB) Viewed 5536 times
c2.jpg
c2.jpg (213.97 KiB) Viewed 5536 times
c3.jpg
c3.jpg (256.34 KiB) Viewed 5536 times
c4.jpg
c4.jpg (276.57 KiB) Viewed 5536 times
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8B

Re: Cycas sp. 'Wilailak' Flushing

Post by Meangreen94z »

Nice. Yeah, the online guide I just read indicated it has almost palm like growth. Up to a 15 foot trunk in a 50 year period! Eventually reaching 30 feet tall. I’m surprised it wouldn’t have a proper description/designation by now, but the world of cycads can be slow.
Austin, Texas
MattTX
Rhizome

Post by MattTX »

They are supposed to be 'cold hardy', but I would never test that intentionally with a large plant like this. It lived in the garage during the Arctic anomaly this February. I think the California/Florida/Australia/S.Africa folks define 'cold' differently than other places. I wish I could put this in the ground somewhere!
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8B

Post by Meangreen94z »

If I can find relatively cheap seeds or seedlings it might be worth testing out. The online guide mentioned it got down to about 25*F in its native habitat. I would figure it has atleast 10* F more hardiness built in, so maybe hardy to 15*F ? Possibly lower.
Austin, Texas
Merlyn2220
Offset

Post by Merlyn2220 »

Interesting that I ran across this, I just bought a Wadei from an eBayer. He said they were also labeled Wilailak. It is flushing now, I should take a picture and see if it actually looks the same as the ones above. He said filtered light only and no direct sun, but Wadei and Wilailak are from different areas (Philippines vs Laos) and probably have different cultural requirements.