Hardy Aloes

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Aloe, Gasteria, Haworthia and related species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.

Moderator: Geoff

greenghost
Bulbil

Re: Hardy Aloes

Post by greenghost »

Updates on my cold hardy aloes (Z8 Las Cruces, NM)

Aloe humilis unfazed in its first year. Starting to bloom

Aloe humilis x brevifolia. Doing well in its first year.

Aloe variegata Doing well, starting to bloom

Aloe brevifolia, no problems -- five years now.

Aloe saponaria. Survives, reproduces and blooms every year, but does look a bit unsightly in the spring from winter damage.

Aloe Blue Elf. Hit and miss. Tip die-back every year. But a reliable bloomer.

Aloe aristata. No problems. Grows well in my Z7 mountain garden as well.

Aloe polyphylla. Killed three of four plants -- too hot. Doing well in Z7 mountain garden (I protect them with a wool blanket if the temps go to single digits).

Aloe Crosby's Prolific. No problems in first year.
Axel
Offset

Post by Axel »

greenghost wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:13 pm Updates on my cold hardy aloes (Z8 Las Cruces, NM)

Aloe humilis unfazed in its first year. Starting to bloom

Aloe humilis x brevifolia. Doing well in its first year.

Aloe variegata Doing well, starting to bloom

Aloe brevifolia, no problems -- five years now.

Aloe saponaria. Survives, reproduces and blooms every year, but does look a bit unsightly in the spring from winter damage.

Aloe Blue Elf. Hit and miss. Tip die-back every year. But a reliable bloomer.

Aloe aristata. No problems. Grows well in my Z7 mountain garden as well.

Aloe polyphylla. Killed three of four plants -- too hot. Doing well in Z7 mountain garden (I protect them with a wool blanket if the temps go to single digits).

Aloe Crosby's Prolific. No problems in first year.
Thanks for this overview! Although Amsterdam has a very different climate, very very wet during
winter, i also find aristata, and its hybrids, and saponaria very hardy. I am surprised by your experiences with variegata, i have a possible hybrid called interstellar to try.
What has been your experiences with glauca? I noticed you mentioned it in the 2018 update.

Thanks, Axel
greenghost
Bulbil

Post by greenghost »

Las Cruces has been upgraded to zone 8b.

To answer Axel's question: Aloe glauca survives for me, but is juuuust marginal (kind of like Blue Elf). If I am not careful with it in the summer, it dies after a stressful winter (which is what happened to my plant after a few years). I will try it again.

This year I have also trialed a few new plants (but it has been a warm winter)

Aloe tomentosa is unfazed so far.

Aloe x spinossisima also unfazed

Aloe x nobilis doing fine. Just trialed an unvariegated pup off a variegated plant I grow indoors.

I had been growing the spinier form of aloe humilis that used to be v. echinata and it has grown into a nice bunch. This year, I put in the smooth leafed form and it is also fine.

Last summer I killed suprafoliata and broomii v tarkaensis in the heat. I think they will prove hardy with more care next time. Aloe excelsa x africana had tips freeze at mid-20s. I noticed the plant had developed some variegation so I decided to bring it in.