UNCARINA PELTATA

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Caudiciform and Pachyform fat plants. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.
BronxFatty
Seedling

UNCARINA PELTATA

Post by BronxFatty »

Hello to my other Fat-Plant growers-

My Uncarina peltata is coming along quite nicely, growing in full blazing sun and broiling heat, out on my back deck, in New York City (Zone 7-B).

This year I was rewarded with a surprise botanical langniappe! My 24 inch tall Uncarina has set at least 4-5 seed pods! I certainly did not attempt to hand-pollinate the blossoms, and so I'm wondering if some insects visited the flowers? Anyway, the seed pods are developing, and now, most are about 25mm/1 inch long.

I've read that the stiff thorns/hooked spines that will grow on the outside of the seed pods, (for protection) can be a nightmare if you are unfortunate enough to get your fingers stabbed. Ummmmm.....so.......I'm thinking of snipping off all the still-green, still soft, spines before these spines start get hard and sharp, as the season progresses.

Also the trunk is thickening nicely, and has formed some branching at the point were I chopped back the original long, very skinny main-stem. I did the trunk chop earlier in the season just as the tree broke dormancy.
Geneaz
Bulbil

Re: UNCARINA PELTATA

Post by Geneaz »

You know we need images of all this!
BronxFatty
Seedling

Post by BronxFatty »

I'm so sorry...but I don't know how to provide pictures. I am a total illiterate when it comes to using computers and all the confusing options. I come from the ancient world of on-off switches and dial phones. Again, sorry.

So, here's a quick update:
I snipped off all the still-green spines that were growing on the outside of the seed pods. There are no plans in my futures to have my fingers pierced by any hooked spines. I know.....most men are frightened by this phrase, but the hanging pods "got snipped". I disarmed the seed pods. Now, they are about 30mm long X 20mm wide.

I wondering if the pods will ripen any viable or, sterile seeds.....or, if in fact, any seeds are forming inside the pods?

Interesting, how Nature works.
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Post by Stan »

Congrats. That was probably me warning the world of these being holy terror pod plants. Yes,I do remove them green and soft. I have never opened a ripe pod to look for seeds,but seems like they should.
I started to remove them when my cat would get the pods in her- lucky- short summer fur instead of the long coat she has in winter and that's when I knew I would have to keep pods picked. I still needed scissors and she had inflamed skin.
Isn't this called a mouse killer?
Again,another guess is that in ground they bloom near non stop all summer? In pots it flushes blooms, something I've seen with Hibiscus or Bougainvillea plants that bloom all summer here in ground. In a way better its potted for me and local cats and dogs.
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.