UNCARINA PROPAGATION: ROOTED CUTTINGS? HOW?

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Caudiciform and Pachyform fat plants. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.
BronxFatty
Seedling

UNCARINA PROPAGATION: ROOTED CUTTINGS? HOW?

Post by BronxFatty »

Will cuttings -taken from an actively growing Uncarina - strike roots?

I have no choice. In the near future, I will be forced to drastically prune back and then remove a large Uncarina grandidieri "tree" that is presently growing in Florida. I would like to try rooting some sections from those branches that will be pruned off when moving this plant. BTW, I planted this Uncarina about five years ago in my friend's backyard, but they are planning to relocate and they'll be selling their house. I will be going down to FL, hopefully, and will rescue and recover the large Uncaria before the house and property is sold.

The once, small Uncarina g. that I planted in the ground, has over the years, developed an extensive root and branch system. Because of all COVID restrictions, I have curtailed my usual bi-yearly visits to Florida, and that small-ish tree is now a very big tree...growing way out of control.....with sprawling, 6 foot long branches. The tree has a lower trunk that's at least 4"- 5" diameter, and he first branches start about 15"-18" above the roots. In past, pre-COVID visits, I would prune back the branches and shape the tree. COVID stopped many things. So, most of the fleshy, root system, including all the branches, will have to be drastically pruned away, and I'll ship the bare, 18" rootless trunk, and some sectioned wood from the branches up to New York City. I'll try to re-root the fat, juicy trunk, and branch sections....growing them -if they strike roots- as houseplants in Zone-7b. I'm daunted by my growing conditions, and limited skills, but also by the task that's before me, to say the very least. As I mentioned before....I'll have no choice if I want to try to save the plant.

Any advice on how to increase my chance of successfully re-rooting some branch sections and the trunk of a large Uncarina? My plant was to attempt the re-rooting, using a gritty mixture, with some bottom heat + prayers.

Thanks for the interest and any help.
edds
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: A wet 8b!

Re: UNCARINA PROPAGATION: ROOTED CUTTINGS? HOW?

Post by edds »

I've no experience with this genus but have had amazing results rooting some very temperamental cuttings of various succulents in pure mineral cat litter (I actually use an oil absorbent but it's the same stuff).

This can be kept damp by adding water to a tray under the pot but allows lots of air around the cuttings. Some dry and very old stems of Fred Ives Variegated and various variegated Pachyphytum and Pachyveria that can rot before rooting in our climate have done great in it so maybe it might increase your chances?
Nottingham, UK
BronxFatty
Seedling

Post by BronxFatty »

Thanks, Edds for the added information.

I plan on using Turface-MVP which is a fired clay product + some coarse grit for a substrate. The Turface holds some moisture and acts as a wick, sort of like unglazed terra cotta.

Prayers will be part of the rooting process.
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Post by Stan »

I just want to report that one tip of my Uncarina grew fasciated. Unfortunately what made it visible is that the tip died. Would have been a real novelty.
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.