What’s wrong?

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Beaucarnea, Calibanus, Cordyline, Dasylirion, Dracaena, Nolina, Sansevieria and related species.

Moderator: Spination

Eweknow
Rhizome

What’s wrong?

Post by Eweknow »

I’ve had this Dasylirion longissimum since June. It’s in a standard succulent/cactus potting mix (not MiracleGro). I noticed a red band on some of its newer leaves and when I touched them they broke as they were brittle. I live in Zone 9b and have been watering weekly as the temperature has been 100+ F. What do you think is going on? Thank you for your help
Attachments
026F553C-0D73-4FB1-847D-CC4358CFADAD.jpeg
026F553C-0D73-4FB1-847D-CC4358CFADAD.jpeg (310.5 KiB) Viewed 5214 times
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Re: What’s wrong?

Post by Stan »

Probably not enough water. The red is stress from the combo of heat and not enough water/dry.
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.
Eweknow
Rhizome

Post by Eweknow »

Thank you!
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

Also,the clay pot. As an old sage once said years ago "Clay pots compete with the plant roots for your water. True, Unglazed Terra cotta wicks water that should be going to the plant.
Papahuel
Offset

Post by Papahuel »

I've grown a lot of agave species plus D.wheel and D.long all from seed and found the Dasylirion like way more water and a heavier, more water retaining potting mix than almost all the agaves, without any Ill affect to the Dasy's, even during heavy rain periods.

Plus yeah the terracotta pot won't be helping the situation.
Papahuel
Offset

Post by Papahuel »

I'm also yet to find a store bought cactus/succulent potting mix I like either. Almost all have composted pine bark as a major ingredient which might be good for orchids but is a bit of a cheap cop-out ingredient for an agave mix.

What's available/expensive in your area may be different to where I am but if you can get some reasonably large and porous red scoria I have found it one of the best potting mix ingredients for both my Dasy's and agave
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

Howz kitty litter as a media? Seems like its promoted for everything.