Agave Book To Add To Your Library…

Use this forum to announce, discuss, and review literature, preferably print, relevant to our xeric gardening interests.

Moderator: DesertDweller

OWgave
Ready to Bolt

Agave Book To Add To Your Library…

Post by OWgave »

https://hiddenagave.com/products/new-ag ... rs-hybrids

Lots of info and beautiful photos. Did I mention beautiful photos.

Large thick, well made and designed book.

Check it out, you won’t be disappointed.

OWgave
"My worst fear is, when I die, my wife will sell my agaves at the prices I told her at what I got them for" :frown:
MikeyDude
Ready to Bolt

Re: Agave Book To Add To Your Library…

Post by MikeyDude »

This new book by Jeremy Spath and Jeff Moore (Solana Succulents) is a really nice book. I'm into about 100 pages deep and enjoy the fact that it is not written from a scientific or taxonomy perspective but from an enthusiasts perspective, meaning straight forward writing and style. It even mentions our own hero here, Ron Parker and his book, as a great resource and companion read. The book is almost 400 pages and contains lush photos and a lot of new perspectives on where the agave cultivation and collectors trade is going. Also a strong emphasis on hybrids, which is what Jeremy is now working on and creating in his own nursery. Jeff Moore has several other books out already, and if you have purchased them you will see that this book is on the same frame and similar format. It includes info on some of the newer described species also with photos. I recommend it whether for the library or the coffee table, it's a tome of information.

Edit by admin: "Jeff Moore"
OWgave
Ready to Bolt

Post by OWgave »

Yup, what he said D))

OWgave
"My worst fear is, when I die, my wife will sell my agaves at the prices I told her at what I got them for" :frown:
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8B

Post by Meangreen94z »

I was on the fence until you mentioned the Ron Parker cameo. Now I’m sold, that guy is a legend. D))
Austin, Texas
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Gee.S »

And I thought it was all in my head.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
OWgave
Ready to Bolt

Post by OWgave »

Gee.S wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:59 am And I thought it was all in my head.
Ha, ha, ha…. :lol:

That would be a brain to add to your library, not a book.

OWgave
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

MikeyDude wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:22 pm This new book by Jeremy Spath and Jeff Moore (Solana Succulents) is a really nice book. I'm into about 100 pages deep and enjoy the fact that it is not written from a scientific or taxonomy perspective but from an enthusiasts perspective, meaning straight forward writing and style. It even mentions our own hero here, Ron Parker and his book, as a great resource and companion read. The book is almost 400 pages and contains lush photos and a lot of new perspectives on where the agave cultivation and collectors trade is going. Also a strong emphasis on hybrids, which is what Jeremy is now working on and creating in his own nursery. Jeff Moore has several other books out already, and if you have purchased them you will see that this book is on the same frame and similar format. It includes info on some of the newer described species also with photos. I recommend it whether for the library or the coffee table, it's a tome of information.
You know, as nice as some of those hybrids look, in the end, they just sorta make me cringe. For one thing, I really don't want to see the commercial agave trade devolve into that of Aloes and Dyckias, in which actual species are becoming less and less familiar as a result of all the backyard introgression. And for another, I just don't like the notion much more than that of variegates, in that most are unnatural. That said, I am easily smitten by naturally occurring hybrids and variegates, but those cooked up via anthropogenic intervention are another matter altogether. I know I am in the minority here, but have become thoroughly immersed in the notion of maintaining plants in their natural state, undoubtedly a consequence of my extreme exposure to natural habitat.

In any case, I am absolutely not throwing any shade on the book, which by all accounts, is a very worthwhile read.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

Sonoran Jackalope
Bulbil

Post by Sonoran Jackalope »

I am interested in obtaining the book, but I am debating whether I should wait for a used copy.

And I am on the same page as the infamous Mr. Ron Parker, I prefer species as they occur in nature. I do appreciate abnormalities or unique traits that are reproduced, but not so much of the”Frankenstein creations.” But we all don’t like the same ice cream flavors, and that’s a good thing.

Jeremy has stellar photography, and I love in-habitat photos. I mostly keep true desert species like simplex, eborispina, pelona, zebra, etc. If the book has some good photos and information on those, I will buy the book sooner rather than later.
Paul S
Ready to Bolt

Post by Paul S »

Gee.S wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:00 pm You know, as nice as some of those hybrids look, in the end, they just sorta make me cringe. For one thing, I really don't want to see the commercial agave trade devolve into that of Aloes and Dyckias, in which actual species are becoming less and less familiar as a result of all the backyard introgression. And for another, I just don't like the notion much more than that of variegates, in that most are unnatural. That said, I am easily smitten by naturally occurring hybrids and variegates, but those cooked up via anthropogenic intervention are another matter altogether. I know I am in the minority here, but have become thoroughly immersed in the notion of maintaining plants in their natural state, undoubtedly a consequence of my extreme exposure to natural habitat.

In any case, I am absolutely not throwing any shade on the book, which by all accounts, is a very worthwhile read.
I'll join your club if I can, Ron. It is hard to beat what occurs in nature.

I'll get the book, regardless. We are trying to currently arrange a cost effective way to ship multiple copies over to the UK - seems unaccountably problematic using the existing courier arrangements.
abborean
Ready to Bolt

Post by abborean »

MikeyDude wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:22 pm This new book by Jeremy Spath and Jeff Moore (Solana Succulents) is a really nice book. I'm into about 100 pages deep and enjoy the fact that it is not written from a scientific or taxonomy perspective but from an enthusiasts perspective, meaning straight forward writing and style. It even mentions our own hero here, Ron Parker and his book, as a great resource and companion read. The book is almost 400 pages and contains lush photos and a lot of new perspectives on where the agave cultivation and collectors trade is going. Also a strong emphasis on hybrids, which is what Jeremy is now working on and creating in his own nursery. Jeff Moore has several other books out already, and if you have purchased them you will see that this book is on the same frame and similar format. It includes info on some of the newer described species also with photos. I recommend it whether for the library or the coffee table, it's a tome of information.

Edit by admin: "Jeff Moore"
Since you have the book does it treat the common species as well? I'm thinking salmiana, americanum, lophantha and such.
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Paul S wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:22 am
Gee.S wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:00 pm You know, as nice as some of those hybrids look, in the end, they just sorta make me cringe. For one thing, I really don't want to see the commercial agave trade devolve into that of Aloes and Dyckias, in which actual species are becoming less and less familiar as a result of all the backyard introgression. And for another, I just don't like the notion much more than that of variegates, in that most are unnatural. That said, I am easily smitten by naturally occurring hybrids and variegates, but those cooked up via anthropogenic intervention are another matter altogether. I know I am in the minority here, but have become thoroughly immersed in the notion of maintaining plants in their natural state, undoubtedly a consequence of my extreme exposure to natural habitat.

I'll join your club if I can, Ron. It is hard to beat what occurs in nature.

I'll get the book, regardless. We are trying to currently arrange a cost effective way to ship multiple copies over to the UK - seems unaccountably problematic using the existing courier arrangements.
Patience, my friend. Remember how long it took Amazon UK to offer Chasing Centuries?
Agave

Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt

Post by Meangreen94z »

I would say it depends on your situation. Someone in Southern California or low elevation Arizona really shouldn’t need hybrids. But I could see someone in an apartment or cold climate wanting variety through hybrids. I agree now it’s hard to know what you are buying in a lot of situations.

I took an interest in Yucca since there’s a broad range of species native to Texas. I’ve ran into a few natural hybrids but outside of Faxoniana x Rostrata haven’t had much interest in man made hybrids. But in Eastern and Northern Europe they are all the rage. They have hybridized to the point no one will ever know what they are if the labels get lost. I’ve seen posts on Facebook with 15 different hybrids that all look the same, but that’s what they enjoy.
Austin, Texas
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

^ In some instances, I think people are just becoming increasingly detached from the real world.
Agave

Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt

Post by Meangreen94z »

Gee.S wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:19 pm ^ In some instances, I think people are just becoming increasingly detached from the real world.
I agree. But then again if everyone who enjoys agave gets off facebook and moves to the Sonoran Desert, there won’t be much of that reality left either.
Austin, Texas
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Sure there will. We'll just have a lot of fat vultures.
Agave

Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Very strange assessment of Agaveville in the book. As if we were engaged in some constant life or death bloodbath here. Even XericWorld wasn't nearly that bad...
Agave

Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt

Post by Meangreen94z »

I don’t know, OWgave called you brainless and was never heard from again. :lol:
Austin, Texas
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

^ Is that what that meant? I couldn't work it out for the life of me...
Agave

Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt

Post by Meangreen94z »

Kidding, not sure what he meant. Hopefully he resurfaces.

I figure the comment in the book might be referring to the “Oteroi” feud from a year or 2 ago. As long as the dispute isn’t over a transaction, a little excitement on here isn’t a bad thing .
Austin, Texas
MikeyDude
Ready to Bolt

Post by MikeyDude »

Abborean, the book describes approximately 148 species and their related subspecies and 14 hybrid cultivars. I don't see this book changing the natural order of the agaves grown in habitat or of agaves cultivated for the enthusiast and collector, but a reflection of where the interests are of the agave nation. Also provides input and photos from some of the giants in the field such as Brian Kemble, Jeff Chemnick, Gerhard Bock, Julia Etter, Kelly Griffin and Tony Krock oh and Randy Baldwin.
OWgave
Ready to Bolt

Post by OWgave »

Meangreen94z wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:28 pm I don’t know, OWgave called you brainless and was never heard from again. :lol:
*GASP* as I resurface for air.

My comment regarding Gee’s brain was never intended to be offensive, but commenting on the knowledge that it holds on agaves, like a book that is filled with tons of info.
My apologies if it was taken the wrong way.

Now back to our regular program.

OWgave
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt

Post by Meangreen94z »

OWgave wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:30 pm
Meangreen94z wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:28 pm I don’t know, OWgave called you brainless and was never heard from again. :lol:
*GASP* as I resurface for air.

My comment regarding Gee’s brain was never intended to be offensive, but commenting on the knowledge that it holds on agaves, like a book that is filled with tons of info.
My apologies if it was taken the wrong way.

Now back to our regular program.

OWgave
I think both of us took your comment as a joke, and were joking in response. No offense was taken by anyone. :lol:
Austin, Texas
OWgave
Ready to Bolt

Post by OWgave »

:U D))
abborean
Ready to Bolt

Post by abborean »

MikeyDude wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:29 pm Abborean, the book describes approximately 148 species and their related subspecies and 14 hybrid cultivars. I don't see this book changing the natural order of the agaves grown in habitat or of agaves cultivated for the enthusiast and collector, but a reflection of where the interests are of the agave nation. Also provides input and photos from some of the giants in the field such as Brian Kemble, Jeff Chemnick, Gerhard Bock, Julia Etter, Kelly Griffin and Tony Krock oh and Randy Baldwin.
Thanks Mikey. Guess I'll order me one for Christmas.
abborean
Ready to Bolt

Post by abborean »

Received the book yesterday and stayed up late reading it. Can't recommend it enough! Even identified one of my mystery agaves.