Cool Plants for Hot Gardens

Use this forum to announce, discuss, and review literature, preferably print, relevant to our xeric gardening interests.

Moderator: DesertDweller

agavegreg
Ready to Bolt

Cool Plants for Hot Gardens

Post by agavegreg »

At last! I revised Cool Plants for Hot Gardens and just received all 1500 copies this afternoon. I removed all the cacti and succulents with the intention of producing a companion book devoted solely to those fantastic plants. You can read all about the new version of Cool Plants by clicking on the link below.

https://starr-nursery.com/shop/books/co ... ming-soon/

Get your copy now so I can pour that money into Cool Cactus and Succulents.

Cheers and Happy Holidays,
Greg
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Re: Cool Plants for Hot Gardens

Post by Gee.S »

cp.jpg
cp.jpg (232.43 KiB) Viewed 5679 times
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8B

Post by Meangreen94z »

agavegreg wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:29 pm
Maybe after that “The forgotten plants of a cool garden”? The many species of Dasylirion, Nolina, Yucca, Hesperaloe, Fouquieria, etc. that exist but have little in the way of a published breakdown in identification? You could go the extra mile and provide localities and range maps D)) ? Anyways Im ordering your new book, and I have the other 3.
Austin, Texas
agavegreg
Ready to Bolt

Post by agavegreg »

Meangreen94z wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:00 pm
agavegreg wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:29 pm
Maybe after that “The forgotten plants of a cool garden”? The many species of Dasylirion, Nolina, Yucca, Hesperaloe, Fouquieria, etc. that exist but have little in the way of a published breakdown in identification? You could go the extra mile and provide localities and range maps D)) ? Anyways Im ordering your new book, and I have the other 3.
I have already started on Cool Cactus and Succulents for Hot Gardens! It will include many species in the genera you mentioned.
agavegreg
Ready to Bolt

Post by agavegreg »

Gee.S wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:04 pmcp.jpg
That was fast.
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

agavegreg wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:36 pm I have already started on Cool Cactus and Succulents for Hot Gardens! It will include many species in the genera you mentioned.
Glad to hear. From my experience, we were able to obtain eight Fouquieria species in a single season, without too much difficulty. The first thing that struck me is that these all seem to have more in common with each other than any do with F. splendens. That fact alone merits attention from a cultivation perspective.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

Minime8484
Offset

Post by Minime8484 »

Gee.S wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:46 pm
agavegreg wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:36 pm I have already started on Cool Cactus and Succulents for Hot Gardens! It will include many species in the genera you mentioned.
Glad to hear. From my experience, we were able to obtain eight Fouquieria species in a single season, without too much difficulty. The first thing that struck me is that these all seem to have more in common with each other than any do with F. splendens. That fact alone merits attention from a cultivation perspective.
On that note, although in its infancy still, myself and Greg Starr are working on producing a monograph of the Fouquieriaceae, which - in addition to technical information like taxonomic and field data - will also include cultivation and horticultural information on all species of Fouquieria. And plenty pretty pictures from field and cultivation as well.

Stay tuned!
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Minime8484 wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:50 pm
Gee.S wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:46 pm
On that note, although in its infancy still, myself and Greg Starr are working on producing a monograph of the Fouquieriaceae, which - in addition to technical information like taxonomic and field data - will also include cultivation and horticultural information on all species of Fouquieria. And plenty pretty pictures from field and cultivation as well.

Stay tuned!
I suspect cultivation information may prove challenging, insofar as gathering enough anecdotal information across a broad enough spectrum of geographic areas and climate conditions. Perhaps CSSA would permit you to mass email a Fouq questionnaire in an effort to find folks growing anything other than F. splendens. Sorry, that's about the only crazy idea I have at the moment.
Agave

mcvansoest
Location: Tempe, Arizona, USA ie. Low Desert & Urban Heat Island
USDA Zone: 9a/b

Post by mcvansoest »

Got my copy of cool plants today. Starting a list of things to add to liven up the gravel between the mostly cacti and agaves that make up the majority of my landscape plants.
It is what it is!
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Minime8484 wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:50 pm On that note, although in its infancy still, myself and Greg Starr are working on producing a monograph of the Fouquieriaceae, which - in addition to technical information like taxonomic and field data - will also include cultivation and horticultural information on all species of Fouquieria. And plenty pretty pictures from field and cultivation as well.

Stay tuned!
I'll guess you have been to Arizona Cactus Sales? They have examples of F. diguetti and F. macdougalii TO DIE FOR.

Agave

Minime8484
Offset

Post by Minime8484 »

Gee.S wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:02 am I'll guess you have been to Arizona Cactus Sales? They have examples of F. diguetti and F. macdougalii TO DIE FOR.
Oh yes....I live only about 3 miles from it. A second home.
nsp88
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8a

Post by nsp88 »

Is this still in the works, by any chance?
agavegreg
Ready to Bolt

Post by agavegreg »

Yes it is. I'm hoping to publish it by late summer.
Merrick

Post by Merrick »

mcvansoest wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:52 pm Got my copy of cool plants today. Starting a list of things to add to liven up the gravel between the mostly cacti and agaves that make up the majority of my landscape plants.
Exciting! Adding variety to your landscape with cool plants sounds like a great idea. Consider succulents like sedum or echeveria, along with colorful stones or small ornamental grasses for texture.