Holy Washingtonia robusta Batman!

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Areca, Bismarckia, Brahea, Jubaea, Parajubaea, Phoenix and other Palm species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.

Moderator: Geoff

KLC
Ready to Bolt

Holy Washingtonia robusta Batman!

Post by KLC »

Here's another palm grove owned by Moon Valley (ugh!) that's been growing for right around 15 years now. I watched them plant these even before the Loop 303 was built. With the street cost of a 25' Washingtonia robusta around $2500 to $4000, do the math. A big palm grove is self perpetuating, as the bigger palms are removed the ones that grew up from wild seed are already 5' tall. This is commercial growing on a grand scale for sure. This kind of operation humbles me.

It would be cool to be a groundskeeper at this place, not only could you be around a million palm trees and play with a big backhoe, you'd be continuously entertained by the F35s that fly almost nonstop during daylight hours at Luke AFB, this palm grove is so close to the runway the aircraft appear to be just above the treetops on their approaches. It's a neat place.
Web capture_6-5-2022_231535_www.google.com.jpeg
Web capture_6-5-2022_231535_www.google.com.jpeg (148.38 KiB) Viewed 3178 times
Web capture_6-5-2022_231455_www.google.com.jpeg
Web capture_6-5-2022_231455_www.google.com.jpeg (145.78 KiB) Viewed 3178 times
Web capture_6-5-2022_233439_www.google.com.jpeg
Web capture_6-5-2022_233439_www.google.com.jpeg (192.95 KiB) Viewed 3177 times
Don't California my Arizona!
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8B

Re: Holy Washingtonia robusta Batman!

Post by Meangreen94z »

KLC wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:31 pm Here's another palm grove owned by Moon Valley (ugh!) that's been growing for right around 15 years now. I watched them plant these even before the Loop 303 was built. With the street cost of a 25' Washingtonia robusta around $2500 to $4000, do the math. A big palm grove is self perpetuating, as the bigger palms are removed the ones that grew up from wild seed are already 5' tall. This is commercial growing on a grand scale for sure. This kind of operation humbles me.

It would be cool to be a groundskeeper at this place, not only could you be around a million palm trees and play with a big backhoe, you'd be continuously entertained by the F35s that fly almost nonstop during daylight hours at Luke AFB, this palm grove is so close to the runway the aircraft appear to be just above the treetops on their approaches. It's a neat place.

Web capture_6-5-2022_231535_www.google.com.jpeg
Web capture_6-5-2022_231455_www.google.com.jpeg
Web capture_6-5-2022_233439_www.google.com.jpeg
Wonderful Moon Valley. The nursery chain that operates like a used car dealer .If you are willing to take the plant in your own vehicle, plant it yourself, and give up any guarantee/warranty I’ve had them knock off as much as 75%. I’ve only gone there a few times.
Austin, Texas
KLC
Ready to Bolt

Post by KLC »

Moon Valley is a terrible place to buy plant stock from, they're grossly overpriced. They actually peddle giant agaves in 24"boxes to unknowing customers, for many hundreds of dollars. They pitch it as an instant mature garden. Little do the customers know that the big agave they just bought will send up a stalk not long after they plant it. I try and steer people away from them when I can.
Don't California my Arizona!
toditd
Ready to Bolt

Post by toditd »

I had a strange experience at one of their locations several years ago. Their agaves were not marked with any prices. I asked an employee what the price of one particular species was. He gave me a business card, told me to call him later, and sent me on my way. If they can't even tell me the price of their goods when I'm already there, why would I ever go back? What a strange sales tactic for a customer in hand. I never called him, and I've never gone back.