sticker spreader recommendations, please

Use this section to discuss matters relating to any and all issues involving horticultural pest and disease management. This is where one posts unknown pest/damage photos for ID help.
bigdaddyscondition
Ready to Bolt

sticker spreader recommendations, please

Post by bigdaddyscondition »

OK, I know we have a divergence of expert opinion on this forum about the advisability of using surfactants (agents that facilitate spreading and adherence of aqueous solutions of miticide on leaves during foliar application) on agaves. I'll just say that since I started treating my agaves with alternating regimens of Forbid 4F and Avid, I have consistently used a non-ionic spreader-sticker with both agents (Spray Mate is the brand). And I have seen the dreaded fusion of new-growth leaves only once (Agave impressa); it was a mild and temporary condition for the plant.

But I can't find Spray Mate spreader-sticker anywhere now, and I suspect it's out of production. I've seen some other products that are not non-ionic detergents, and I'm leery of using them. Can anyone recommend a surfactant you've used successfully with Forbid 4F and Avid foliar spray solutions?
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Re: sticker spreader recommendations, please

Post by Gee.S »

Issues of leaf fusion have everything to do with translaminar qualities of effective miticides and nothing to do with surfactants, IMHO. Spray these miticides VERY lightly and mix properly to avoid leaf fusion and facilitate rapid recovery from mite infestations.

I just use Spreader Sticker and have no issues.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
bigdaddyscondition
Ready to Bolt

Re: sticker spreader recommendations, please

Post by bigdaddyscondition »

Thanks Gee.