Unknown succulent

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to xeric plants, which do not fit under any of our established categories, or to discuss issues of a general nature that bear relevance across multiple categories.
jam
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 7a/b

Unknown succulent

Post by jam »

I have no idea to which family, let alone genus, this plant belongs so I put it here under the other xeric plants category. Please be so kind and enlighten me if you have a clue what it could be. The only hint I have apart from the pics below is that it survived the last winter in a small half empty plastic pot left behind in my cousin's garden. The min temperature was somewhere around -6 or -7C so whatever it is, it should be quite cold hardy.

Setting up a Chihuahuan laboratory.
Cactuschris
Offset

Re: Unknown succulent

Post by Cactuschris »

Is it possibly a Lewisia? Maybe L. rosea. Or not…..
Paul S
Ready to Bolt

Post by Paul S »

That was my thought, too. It should give the game away next spring when and if it flowers.
jam
Ready to Bolt

Post by jam »

Thanks, guys. Never heard of Lewisia before. Given their hardiness down to the zone 5, one would think they'd be incorporated in any xeric garden or raised bed. And maybe they are but until now I have been overlooking them. I can't wait till spring to find out what its flower look like and what species it is.
jam
Ready to Bolt

Post by jam »

The thing is in bloom. It certainly is Lewisia. Flowers suggest cotydelon species but the leaves are too short and tapered.
Attachments
IMG_20230501_162622.jpg
IMG_20230501_162622.jpg (247.95 KiB) Viewed 1659 times