California drought knocking out palm and tropical plant people in California?

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Areca, Bismarckia, Brahea, Jubaea, Parajubaea, Phoenix and other Palm species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.

Moderator: Geoff

Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

California drought knocking out palm and tropical plant people in California?

Post by Stan »

I notice that the palm board and other tropical plant are seeing more Florida and southeast posters than ever before. Interesting to see the effects of the drought on media and ..well,us.
Maybe this is off topics?..can be moved.
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8B

Re: California drought knocking out palm and tropical plant people in California?

Post by Meangreen94z »

Stan wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:14 am I notice that the palm board and other tropical plant are seeing more Florida and southeast posters than ever before. Interesting to see the effects of the drought on media and ..well,us.
Maybe this is off topics?..can be moved.
Climate has played a huge factor. The 2021 freeze wiped out the majority of non native landscaping in Texas. It also put out of business probably the best source in Texas for palms and cycads. Despite a claimed increase in interest during the pandemic Ive seen reduced traffic on most forums. I think people got burned out staring at a computer screen, and most of the new interest has been in “houseplants “
Austin, Texas
Bananaguy
Ready to Bolt

Re: California drought knocking out palm and tropical plant people in California?

Post by Bananaguy »

House plants and anything variegated! Crazy prices people are asking for anything with variegation!!
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Post by Stan »

Heck,I see Hawaiians posting more than Californians. Maybe posting a dry climate garden with the look of a much wetter climate is a little touchy these days from the west. Then you have as Mean said about Texas setbacks. Leaves south and even into north Florida on various boards. It used to be rare to see a north Florida post..rare relative to the south.
I can tell you ..with the second drought in a decade in California, people are now not so sure winter will bring rains and now its tread lightly to the hose in summer.
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8B

Post by Meangreen94z »

Stan wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:34 pm Heck,I see Hawaiians posting more than Californians. Maybe posting a dry climate garden with the look of a much wetter climate is a little touchy these days from the west. Then you have as Mean said about Texas setbacks. Leaves south and even into north Florida on various boards. It used to be rare to see a north Florida post..rare relative to the south.
I can tell you ..with the second drought in a decade in California, people are now not so sure winter will bring rains and now its tread lightly to the hose in summer.
I’m not sure of this evolution either. It seems with each change in technology hobbies become less educational and group focused. Most Facebook group posts are single photos. I’ve found a few good groups with a little digging, some technically outside my spectrum. There is a stark difference between the Texas and New Mexico C&SS groups. The New Mexico group is filled with a much more knowledgeable older crowd that posts useful locality information and great specimen pictures. The Texas C&SS , atleast those that post on that group,is more into hunting the Home Depot rack and posting about it. I haven’t found many good broad range palm groups, most are dedicated to a specific genera.
Austin, Texas