experiences with hardier echeveria’s

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Aeonium, Crassula, Dudleya, Echeveria, Kalanchoe, Rhodiola, Sedum, Sempervium and related species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.

Moderator: Aeonium2003

nsp88
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8a

Re: experiences with hardier echeveria’s

Post by nsp88 »

Has anyone here ever tried echeveria strictiflora? I just saw they grew out in West Texas, and many plants front there are especially hardy. The locations it shows on inaturalist sure get below freezing. Not much moisture out there, though.
Axel
Offset

Post by Axel »

nsp88 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:31 pm
Axel wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:49 pm I bought this nice Dudleya brittonii.I would greatly appreciate any info on it’s hardiness in various climates.
How did it handle cold and rain?
Hi, most of my echeveria’s did fine in one of the wettest non stop raining autumn/winters. However, my dudleya started spotting early in autumn so i took it inside since it’s small and a very rare find around here.
Tom in Tucson
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Tom in Tucson »

nsp88 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:32 pm Has anyone here ever tried echeveria strictiflora? I just saw they grew out in West Texas, and many plants front there are especially hardy. The locations it shows on inaturalist sure get below freezing. Not much moisture out there, though.
For almost a year I've been testing the hardiness (mostly to heat) of many members of the stone-crop family. Thus far my E. strictiflora is doing alright. I bought it with the name E. strictiflora 'Nova' which is supposed to look like this:

but mine looks more like the type from west Texas:

Casas Adobes, AZ
nsp88
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8a

Post by nsp88 »

Awesome, thanks! How cold has it gotten there since you have had it outdoors? I am guessing Tucson doesn't get super cold.

Do you by any chance recall where you bought yours?

I couldn't find the regular "West Texas" type online so i just ordered a little tiny 'nova.' But I'm not sure what it is now that I have it. I don't know if it changes colors during different seasons like some other succulents, if it is a West Texas type, or a hybrid of the two? No clue. It got roughed up in transit a bit. Anyways here it is:
PXL_20240111_034248328~2.jpg
PXL_20240111_034248328~2.jpg (204.11 KiB) Viewed 1263 times
I bought some seeds for what I thought was the regular kind, but went back and checked the order and it was the Nova variety, too. I just rushed and didn't read, I guess. Who knows if I will even have success with them though.

I am hoping it can survive in my raised bed outdoors. NE side of building. Open in summer and hoop tunnel cover in winter. If it survives in West Texas, then temps shouldn't be a problem here. Humidity and rain should be the big concerns. Short window of sun in winter might be a problem too, but so far agaves and other stuff are surviving. Winter cover should really help with all the winter rain we get. We will see.
Axel
Offset

Post by Axel »

It’s difficult to know if other climatic factors influence hardiness of echeverias but here most don’t seem to mind months of daily rain. It has been raining here since the start of october and lilacina elegans agavoides and others are fine. I do protect them from frost though.
Axel
Offset

Post by Axel »

On 26 th of December
Attachments
IMG_5335.jpeg
IMG_5335.jpeg (694.14 KiB) Viewed 1230 times
JoyinAlb
Bulbil
USDA Zone: 7b

Post by JoyinAlb »

Axel wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:38 pm Final question: would these unlabeled echeveria’s be elegans?
It could be E. Arctic Ice. They get big even when crowded. It’s an ice blue with pink tips in the sun. I haven’t seen it that green, but that could be color cast in the photo. The right most one in your photo looks blueish. There’s another called Lime n chile that has the same form but I haven’t grown it to know if it gets big like that.
4D8E2453-180A-49E2-9C66-F6A9D9A7209A.jpeg
4D8E2453-180A-49E2-9C66-F6A9D9A7209A.jpeg (480.57 KiB) Viewed 979 times
This one is doing pretty well outside for me in weather 13F-30F depending on the day. It is curled up into a tight ball but doesn’t have much damage. It is about the size of a small melon, like 5-6 inches. The other one pictured is Echeveria Lola. Also in a tight ball and with sunburn.
Attachments
EB3EF9D3-A7FA-4C53-9B89-890CF366DC2C.jpeg
EB3EF9D3-A7FA-4C53-9B89-890CF366DC2C.jpeg (546.63 KiB) Viewed 979 times
5C28F02E-5A63-41A7-AFF0-E64E644363D6.jpeg
5C28F02E-5A63-41A7-AFF0-E64E644363D6.jpeg (485.28 KiB) Viewed 979 times
JoyinAlb
Bulbil
USDA Zone: 7b

Post by JoyinAlb »

Axel wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:48 am On 26 th of December
Your collection is gorgeous!
Tom in Tucson
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Tom in Tucson »

nsp88 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:55 pm Awesome, thanks! How cold has it gotten there since you have had it outdoors? I am guessing Tucson doesn't get super cold.

Do you by any chance recall where you bought yours?

I couldn't find the regular "West Texas" type online so i just ordered a little tiny 'nova.' But I'm not sure what it is now that I have it. I don't know if it changes colors during different seasons like some other succulents, if it is a West Texas type, or a hybrid of the two? No clue. It got roughed up in transit a bit. Anyways here it is:

PXL_20240111_034248328~2.jpg

I bought some seeds for what I thought was the regular kind, but went back and checked the order and it was the Nova variety, too. I just rushed and didn't read, I guess. Who knows if I will even have success with them though.

I am hoping it can survive in my raised bed outdoors. NE side of building. Open in summer and hoop tunnel cover in winter. If it survives in West Texas, then temps shouldn't be a problem here. Humidity and rain should be the big concerns. Short window of sun in winter might be a problem too, but so far agaves and other stuff are surviving. Winter cover should really help with all the winter rain we get. We will see.
I bought my plant from an Etsy vendor from northern Florida. They boxed it up 2 weeks before shipping it so it was very etiolated when I finally opened the box. Since it has only been here for a few months, it's only seen a low temperature of 28°, and was not damaged. I know that in their native habitat in west Texas, they will tolerate much lower temperatures. Be sure to give it some shade in the hottest months.
Casas Adobes, AZ