Tropical Fruit

Discuss any and all issues that don't fit neatly into one of our other forum sections.
Epiphyte
Offset

Re: Tropical Fruit

Post by Epiphyte »

Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Post by Stan »

Alright,good for him. My Guavas last I looked are still green. They are good for curing constipation I was told. I still have Mangos left on the shrub tree. My family actually likes them green and dipped in vinegar. I like them all American ripe and sweet :lol:
Attachments
Juicy.
Juicy.
IMG_5272.jpg (314.82 KiB) Viewed 931 times
Palm sized.
Palm sized.
IMG_5266.jpg (234.14 KiB) Viewed 931 times
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.
Epiphyte
Offset

Post by Epiphyte »

that's a nice looking mango stan. years ago i planted a manila mango and the tree has grown ok but the fruit is meh. i recently grafted a couple other noid varieties onto it.

there's a guy in norcal who is serious about growing monstera deliciosa for the fruit... Grow Amazing Monstera deliciosa for Fruits Production. you can briefly see that there are also quite a few broms and a big stag growing on his tree, and a cymbidium. looks like the cymbidium is growing in the staghorn, which makes sense because everyone loves growing in stags.

in january one of the 2 fruits on my monstera deliciosa thai constellation fell off. it had been on there for around 15 months. i put it in a paper bag for a couple days and most of the outer shell easily crumbled off...

20240113_193752.jpg
20240113_193752.jpg (289.1 KiB) Viewed 412 times

for anyone who doesn't know, the fruit on its own ripens sequentially over several days. the shells over the ripe area will easily come off. if you get greedy and try to force the shell off then it will be like eating fiberglass or something because of all the oxylate crystals. the ripe fruit tastes like a combination of pineapple and banana, it's very good, but it can be a little bit prickly.

there weren't any seeds, which is so strange. why would a plant invest so much time and energy into producing such a big fruit that doesn't have any seeds??

the second fruit fell off the other day, after nearly a year and a half. i'm hoping that it stayed on longer because this is the one i tried to pollinate using pollen from monstera albo. it's been in a paper bag for couple days so it should be ready tonight. i'm really hoping that there will be seeds. i'd love to see what percentage of the seedlings are variegated. hopefully it's not like citrus.

i have some seeds of variegated kumquat germinating and so far they are all albino. i'm getting ptsd from when the same thing happened with the seedlings of the variegated calamansi. of course they all died. so annoying.

recently i stumbled on this video... Backyard Tropical Food Forest in Northern California. i've only watched the beginning so far but it looks promising.