The new so-called Korean Aeoniums

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Aeonium, Crassula, Dudleya, Echeveria, Kalanchoe, Rhodiola, Sedum, Sempervium and related species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.

Moderator: Aeonium2003

Viegener
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10b

The new so-called Korean Aeoniums

Post by Viegener »

I finally broke down and bought a bunch of these online for too much money. They are sprouting up all over the internet with all kinds of names and descriptors. I picked the nicest looking ones but these three got their labels mixed up, Aeoniums 'Loki,' 'Chanel,' & 'Pink Witch.' They illustrate the problem here: too many look alike, with redundant patterns and no one really looking to pick out the best in each variation. It feels like a big marketing scheme—find a slight variation, name it, get a dazzling photo of a well grown one, restrict quantities, and start a feeding frenzy.

The ones I see featured a lot are 'Pink Witch,' Medusa,' Big Bang,' and 'Super Bang,' all of which I've created All too expensive. They grow so easily and are so simple to propagate I suggest waiting until the prices come down if they grab you. No doubt there will be unending new introductions.

I really wish the ISI (Huntington Garden's International Succulent Introductions program) would step in here, grow a fleet of them, and then guide gardeners to the best (and most stable!) ones. And of course none of these variegates are as tough as the great old solid colored Jack Catlin hybrids such as 'Velour,' 'Garnet,' 'Jack Catlin,' 'Blushing Beauty,' 'Kokino,' etc.
Attachments
Aeoniums 'Loki,' 'Chanel,' & 'Pink Witch' Mar'23.jpeg
Aeoniums 'Loki,' 'Chanel,' & 'Pink Witch' Mar'23.jpeg (521.17 KiB) Viewed 3411 times