xDudleyveria

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Aeonium, Crassula, Dudleya, Echeveria, Kalanchoe, Rhodiola, Sedum, Sempervium and related species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.

Moderator: Aeonium2003

Aeonium2003
Ready to Bolt

xDudleyveria

Post by Aeonium2003 »

Research has shown that Echeverias and Dudleyas are not particularly closely related, (Dudleyas being more closely related to members of the Sedum family like S. spathulifolium and S. obtusatum). Studies and experiments by well known researchers have also shown that the two genera cannot be crossed together.
However I recently saw on the BCSS forum a thread mentioning a plant called "xDudleyveria 'White sprite'" that seems to contradict these experiments.

My conclusion is that the plant called "xDudleyveria 'White sprite'" is actually a well known hybrid called xSedeveria 'Fanfare' seeing that the 2 look identical.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this subject as well!
Growing in Zone 9b, Mediterranean climate.
Tom in Tucson
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 9b

Re: xDudleyveria

Post by Tom in Tucson »

Aeonium2003 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:09 am Research has shown that Echeverias and Dudleyas are not particularly closely related, (Dudleyas being more closely related to members of the Sedum family like S. spathulifolium and S. obtusatum). Studies and experiments by well known researchers have also shown that the two genera cannot be crossed together.
However I recently saw on the BCSS forum a thread mentioning a plant called "xDudleyveria 'White sprite'" that seems to contradict these experiments.

My conclusion is that the plant called "xDudleyveria 'White sprite'" is actually a well known hybrid called xSedeveria 'Fanfare' seeing that the 2 look identical.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this subject as well!
You are no doubt aware that I posted the reply to that request for finding a good home for some Dudleya orphans. The main reason for injecting this topic into that thread was to see what feedback I could garner. on what I knew would be a controversial assertion. I'm glad I did, because it appears you have solved the mystery. The flowers of that xSedeveria match another image I located of the the so called xDudleyveria. Thanks for posting the solution.

Let's hope those Dudleya find a good home.
Casas Adobes, AZ